creaky old plastic tub

Old 10-09-05, 03:54 PM
chickenlake
Visiting Guest
Question creaky old plastic tub

1. The plastic tub unit in our bathroom is VERY creaky when someone is in it. The house was built in 1983. Out of curiosity, could the creaks be caused by lack of support underneath the tub? There aren't any cracks but it sounds like there will be eventually.

2. The caulk around the tub is cracking as though the tub is getting pulled down away from the tile on the walls by our body weight. Does this sound like a time bomb, also considering the creaking (i.e. replace tub) or a simple re-caulk job?

Let me know if you need more information. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by chickenlake; 10-09-05 at 03:56 PM. Reason: .
Old 10-09-05, 04:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
chickenlake,

Out of curiosity, could the creaks be caused by lack of support underneath the tub? There aren't any cracks but it sounds like there will be eventually.
The answer - Yes.

Lack of support causes squeaks, in some cases leaks at drain pipe fittings and worst of all cracks in the finish material. Most manufacturers recommend or suggest installing a mortar base support under the tub/shower bottom before setting units in place. You can use either a bag of Quikcrete or a 5 gallon pail of pre-mix joint compound. ( usually I use the pre-mix 5 gallon...lazy and it's less mess) You can lay poly down under the unit prior to doing the final install as this will prevent any moisture issues while this is drying.

When this sets up, usually with 24-48 hours, your underside will be rock solid supported extremely well!

This does 2 things, prevents any possibility of potential cracking within the fiberglass/acrylic and eliminates any movement at the drain assembly or potential leaks that could happen.

Check this out on caulking,

http://doityourself.com/clean/mildewoncaulk.htm

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: