Glass block window in tub/shower

Old 10-10-05, 07:05 PM
kitt
Visiting Guest
Glass block window in tub/shower

I am remodeling the bathroom in my 50 year old house. I had a custom made glass block window pre-made to fit the existing window opening in the tub/shower wall. The glass block window has a wood frame around it which is the same depth as the glass block. In determining the placement of the window from front to back, what measurements do I want to use so that the finished window and surrounding tile are flush? How do I frame the tile around the window? Currently, the interior walls are down to the studs.

Old 10-10-05, 08:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
kitt,

These are projects that I have done.

http://dougaphs.smugmug.com/gallery/229281/1/8887487

Is this what you are looking to do? Flush Inside is best.

The best way to do this is to break out some paper and list each thickness of the material you intend to use. Add it up. From that point you will know where the outside of the window should be placed.

Framing around these is no different that traditional windows but you don't need the extra 2". Basically, these are installed in a frame, rigid track, then your wood frame, almost the identical size as the glass block window.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-10-05, 08:47 PM
kitt
Visiting Guest
thank you

Doug -
Yes, your examples of glass block windows are exactly what I would like to attempt. The glass block window that I had made has a wood frame, so is the tile flush with the wood frame, or does it overlap the wood frame, with a bull nose edge up against the glass?
Kitt

Old 10-10-05, 08:55 PM
Kitt,

I was trying to find my section details of this but as yet, no luck.

The glass block is extended into the home by 1 1/4" as I did one that had drywall, then we install Durock, then the tile. No bullnose.

This provided a Flush application and easy to clean - on one we did not use bullnose - the other had bullnose which was laid over the edge of the glass.
I prefer not to use bullnose - keeping the tile back about 1/8" or less. Either way they look grat!

This is where adding up all dimensions is crucial.

Does this help?

Old 10-10-05, 08:57 PM
kitt
Visiting Guest
This is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!

Old 10-10-05, 09:01 PM
Kitt,

You're welcome!

By the way, the reason I don't like to use bullnose is that you really have to plan this out well before tiling.

The other is, the less edges you have, the easier it is to clean and easier for things to dry - no chance of standing water.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: