Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Dividing the kitchen and living room and keeping a open feel?

Old 10-13-05, 08:36 AM
rUfUnKy
Visiting Guest

I recently knocked down a 5 foot wide wall that separated my kitchen and living room. The purpose was to make both areas look bigger and less confined.

The problem I ran into is that the kitchen is going have tile ad the living rom has carpet so the open floor plan isn't working out!.

My question is how can I divide the kitchen and living room and still keep a open spacious feel? I still haven't done the drywall for the header yet so adding to the wall is still possible (half wall, breakfast bar ec.).

Here is a picture

http://img438.imageshack.us/img438/3...ll1copy9ru.jpg

Old 10-13-05, 08:48 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Nice photo - pretty room!

Personally, I don't have a problem with the tile/carpet transition - as long as they coordinate. I love wide open spaces and would probably leave it as is...

However, if you want to split it up... I would add an island breakfast bar rather than a half wall. Using cabinets for the base is easier (spendier too) than trying to support a half wall properly so it doesn't wobble. Plus it offers more storage space (which my wife loves and demands)

It all boils down to personal preferences.... do what works best for you.

Just an opinion............

Old 10-13-05, 01:40 PM
rUfUnKy
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the input ...

I also like the idea of an open floor plan but something about the way my cabinets are set up leaves it looking like a kitchen show room when sitting on the couch (The couch that faces the kitchen not the one in the picture)

I think a breakfast bar that is functional from ether side may be a good way to bring both rooms together yet divide them at the same time (if that makes any sense).

Any suggestions on where I could find a gallery of breakfast bars online to look through and get some ideas??

P.S Thanks for the compliment!

Last edited by rUfUnKy; 10-13-05 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-14-05, 09:44 AM
dazednconfuzed
Visiting Guest
I viewed a model home buit about twice the length once and my wife and I thought the room needed a tennis court net halfway... bah da boom
but seriously, not so much in your picture. I don't know about sites for breakfast bars, but that looks to me like it could use a pc or phone/message center maybe? or a shorter length pony wall (counter height) with a counter surface on it. Would be a good place to splat down food for all the parties too.

Old 11-10-05, 08:11 AM
jocon
Visiting Guest
You could do also build a rolling custom thin cabinet. It will give you the flexibility to move it when you need the space and also give the room the separation that you are looking for. At waist high you can still look through and get the large room effect. By bringing the toe kicks in a the right height, you can hide the wheels and only looking close will reveal that it's mobile.

Plants on top of it will finish it up and could be used for a serving/buffet area also.

Old 11-11-05, 05:23 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think an island with some stools would look awesome in that space.

Old 11-11-05, 02:40 PM
rUfUnKy
Visiting Guest
jocon, Good idea about making it mobile and hiding the wheels. I arched the corners of the through way to help take away from that showroom look. Heres a pic.
http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scf00056zr.jpg

Old 11-11-05, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by rUfUnKy
jocon, Good idea about making it mobile and hiding the wheels. I arched the corners of the through way to help take away from that showroom look. Heres a pic.
http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scf00056zr.jpg
Hmm... your kitchen/family room looks exactly like my parents. Even the window, fridge, and cabinet locations are the same, along with the arch. I guess standard design? :mask:

Old 11-11-05, 02:52 PM
rUfUnKy,

With the room that I see and not knowing who does the cooking, you could add a island that could seat at least 3 - 4 people. It appears that you need more workable counter space.

This could be same or slightly higher than existing countertops. It could do double duty - great for quick breakfast, chatting with the person doing the cooking or remove the stools and makes a great buffet for family and friends get-togethers.

The main issue on mobile is the wheels would be fine if they are lockable. Otherwise I say forget it.

Just some thoughts

Old 11-11-05, 04:49 PM
rUfUnKy
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Doug Aleshire
rUfUnKy,

With the room that I see and not knowing who does the cooking, you could add a island that could seat at least 3 - 4 people. It appears that you need more workable counter space.

This could be same or slightly higher than existing countertops. It could do double duty - great for quick breakfast, chatting with the person doing the cooking or remove the stools and makes a great buffet for family and friends get-togethers.

The main issue on mobile is the wheels would be fine if they are lockable. Otherwise I say forget it.

Just some thoughts
I do the cooking and you are so right I have no where to prepare food! A IKEA store just opened near me so I'm going to see if I can find something there. If not I will most likely end up in a local cabinet shop and fabricate some kind of island/breakfast bar using acouple storage cabinets as a base.

Old 11-17-05, 01:33 PM
T
just did the same thing I put a bookcase with breakfast bar top I still need to get barstools looks great just redid my kit cabs as well paint and hardware

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: