squeaky new bathtub

Old 10-15-05, 02:09 PM
tileman2
Visiting Guest
Question squeaky new bathtub

Hello,
We have a newly installed tub , however when I stand in it to put up the new hardiboard , the tub squeaks . Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 10-15-05, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have to assume that the new tub is acrylic , plastic or fiberglass. These type tubs flex if they are not installed on a mortarbed. What you hear is the tub actually scraping on the studs. An additional problem will be the caulking. You caulk when finished installing and when you take a shower or bath, the caulk breaks loose at the edges. Now you have to go back and remove the old caulk, fill the tub with water and/or concrete blocks, and recaulk and let sit until the caulk cures. Caulk will compress easily but does not stretch well. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 10-15-05, 03:34 PM
tileman2
Visiting Guest
The tub is enamel over steel. Tub is level. It does go up and down when I stand in it. It does sound like it is rubbing against the studs. Do you think we will need a mortar base underneath? We tried shims and now are trying foam underneath. Please Help!! Thanks

Old 10-15-05, 03:46 PM
I am really surprised that a steel tub is doing this. Almost sounds like the front edge is not sitting completely on the floor. The foam will offer a temporary fix. After a while, it will compress and not prevent the tub from going up and back down, putting you in the same postion you now are in. I would go with the mortarbed.

Old 10-15-05, 05:49 PM
tileman2,

No residential application of foam will help in this issue. It does compress and will fail to stop any movement. The issue is lack of support that needs a "solid" fix.

Lack of support causes squeaks, in some cases leaks at drain pipe fittings and worst of all cracks in the finish material. Most manufacturers recommend or suggest installing a mortar base support under the tub/shower bottom before setting units in place. You can use either a bag of Quikcrete or a 5 gallon pail of pre-mix joint compound. ( usually I use the pre-mix 5 gallon...lazy and it's less mess) You can lay poly down under the unit prior to doing the final install as this will prevent any moisture issues while this is drying.

When this sets up, usually with 24-48 hours, your underside will be rock solid supported extremely well!

This does 2 things, prevents any possibility of potential cracking within the fiberglass/acrylic, prevents steel tubs (which are lighter than cast iron) from squeaking and eliminates any movement at the drain assembly or potential leaks that could happen.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-15-05, 06:56 PM
tileman2
Visiting Guest
How deep is this mortar base supposed to be? When I tried to put 1/2 inch foam underneath I realized the tub is not sitting on the floor. This tub was installed by a plumber , isnt the mortar base something he should have done?

Old 10-15-05, 07:28 PM
tileman2,

A good plumber who doesn't want call-backs would do this 100% of the time, IMHO.

I never got call backs and as you read the reasons for it, most manufacturers recommend this. Just look at installation instructions. I would support any tub or shower base just to ensure that no problems occur.

The joint compound would be dumped under the tub - you do not level it out. The placement of the tub on it, then by standing in the tub with some help to level it and anchor it, you have a great base once this dries.

Foam gives and it wouldn't help at all.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-15-05, 07:50 PM
tileman2
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your response.
Question...what do you mean by anchor the tub? We have a called our plumber and are waiting for a response from him.

Old 10-15-05, 08:24 PM
tileman2,

Please Read;

One application -

http://www.sterlingplumbing.com/onli.../1021858_2.pdf

Another application -

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal.../1023730_2.pdf

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal.../1023720_2.pdf

See the flange on tub. The flange should be attached to the studs.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: