Proper position for bathroon vent fan?

Old 10-20-05, 06:50 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I plan on installing a vent fan in my bathroom. Are there guidelines regarding where to position the fan? There is currently a light fixture in the center of the room, so I can't place it there. I will intall the fan in the attic, then run the exhaust pipe in the ceiling joist toward the exterior wall.

Should the fan be placed toward the shower side of the room? Closer to exterior wall, interior wall or centered between the walls?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 10-20-05, 07:55 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
As long as the fan has enough CFM's it should not matter where you put it. Except not directly over the shower. You could place it next to the light fixture.
I need a clarification to your statement that you would run the exhaust pipe in the ceiling joists "toward" the exterior wall. Hopefully, you meant it would exit "out" the exterior wall or roof. Exhaust fans MUST exit the house through the wall or roof. This prevents mold and mildew from moisture laden air. Good luck.

Old 10-20-05, 07:57 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Somewhere near the center and wherever it is convenient for the support and joist spacing.

You said you will run the pipe between the ceiling joist toward the outside wall. DO NOT VENT TO THE ATTIC SPACE!!!! You must vent to the outside with a roof vent or wall vent (like a dryer) in a gable end.

Dick

Old 10-20-05, 08:35 AM
G
Thanks for the reply. Sorry about my loose language. My intention is to have the bathroom air vented OUT the exterior wall via 4" galvanized pipe (versus up and out from the roof).

Old 10-22-05, 06:47 PM
D
I replaced both of my existing bathroom lights with fan/light combos. I had to pull the old light junction box out and used the existing wiring but I was lucky the one for upstairs went into attic and ran outside through roof vent the other one on first floor was in-between rafters and ran exhaust out side of house. The lights are decorative and look really nice. One is brushed nickel and the other polished brass. Home Depot - Lowes items. I used a Hunter light and timer for them. You can get one with that will separate your light and fan with existing one power wire from existing light. It uses a radio signal from the switch to a relay at the light fan just need room for the small receiver at the fan/light. I went the easy way and wired both fan and light into one switch that turns on fan/light and the timer turns them both off.

Old 10-24-05, 08:30 AM
M
Originally Posted by majakdragon
Except not directly over the shower.
Curious about this... why not over the shower?

Old 10-26-05, 09:37 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Exhaust fans should not be installed over a tub or shower unless it is both GFCI protected and rated for use in wet areas.

While some models are designed for this area of installation, most basic bathroom exhaust vent fans are not rated for such.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: