Shower Wall Surround Question

Old 11-11-05, 10:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question Shower Wall Surround Question

The upstairs bathroom seems to have some type of molded Formica type material that seems to form the three sides of the walls.The corners are formed around and it's all one peice. It looks like 1/16th Ė 1/8th thick, glued to blue board. The window that is in the middle of shower has to be replaced. What can I do to fix the surround if I put an awning window higher up, and have a void below from the old double hung? Iím not in the mood to start another Bath redo project just now. I'd like to put something up in the surround and at a later date renovate. Whatís the cheapest way out, if Iím doing the work myself?
Old 11-13-05, 03:23 PM
Doug Aleshire's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 4,455
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Options are;

1. Remove window and patch properly so you can install surround the right way and have no window at all.

2. Remove window, patch properly and install transom above the surround walls.

3. Leave window location but replace with vinyl window or glass block, buy another surround that can be cut and fitted with molding like MAAX units and hope it doesn't leak.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-14-05, 05:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Going with option 1, replace window and patch wall correctly, and then replace surround. Makes the most sense...
Thanks again

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: