Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Kitchen Remode: Single contractor or sub contractors

Old 11-13-05, 12:56 PM
SoFloDeb
Visiting Guest

Here's our situation: we were going to sell and buy new construction. Prices have gone crazy here in S. Florida and small townhouse is now selling for $410,000. Even with latest Hurricane Wilma which caused us all terrible damage down here, we are staying put. We are going to redo the kitchen (9 X 11). Right now the kitchen is very dysfunctional. I have one 11 foot wall with no cabinet or counter on it due to the poor placement of the entry. The space will be redesigned slightly. Closing up the existing entry and putting the entry where the fridge is. I can get one contractor to do the whole job, but I'm looking at about $40,000. I can break it down and hire each contractor myself, which is the way I'm leaning, but It's very confusing trying to figure out who to get in to do what. I've gone to Lowes for an estimate on the cabinets and they're right around $10,000. I haven't gone to Home Depot yet. We will be using a local granite guy for counter. Does anyone have any susggestions on how I should start this? HD will come in and measure and design for $120 up front. I do like the American Woodmark cabinets and also Kraftmaid cabinets. I've got the pricing on my appliances and I've got great 18" ceramic tile (stone look)on the floor and I've got 3 boxes of extras in the garage. We're going for the Tuscan look throughout the home. Any suggestion on how to start would be really great! By the way I'm a first time poster in this forum, so be gentle. Thanks!

Old 11-13-05, 03:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
SoFloDeb,

All that you mentioned can be hard to make choices.

1. You decide what you want in the kitchen. Look at product, touch it, determine if it suits your desired finish look and budget.

2. Subcontractors or a General Contractor? Issue is do you have the time to supervise and coordinate all that is needed to get this done in a timely fashion?

3. Determine your strengths and weaknesses. based on the question, you have weaknesses. If you think not, you would not ask the questions you did.

4. Be honest with yourself - don't try and say you can or will do something if you can't. This would the start of the end. If you don't have the knowledge of doing such a project, hire a professional. If you don't know how to schedule this project, hire a professional. If you don't have the time, hire a professional.

5. Understand how to protect this investment and Lien laws. Good contracts will be a start - seek a lawyer if necessary before signing on the bottom line.

Hope this helps and I was "gentle".

Old 11-14-05, 03:07 AM
SoFloDeb
Visiting Guest
Thanky you "Gentle Doug". I have done this sort of project but long ago (19 years). Ex-Hubby is a GC and we did our kitchen in NJ before moving here. I do have some idea of how to do it. I guess my biggest fear is the relocating of the walls so that the proper measurements for the cabinets can be done. I was talking with New Hubby last night and we could probably move the walls and live with a disorganized kitchen for awhile 'cause we could still use it - it would just be unattractive. Once the new walls are up I could then get the proper measurement. Plumbing is not being relocated, but some electrical outlets and switches need to be moved and new outlet for spacesaver microwave needs to be put in. Lowes would pull all permits according to the KD. We haven't gotten quote from HD yet and I like the American Woodmark cabinets there.

Thanks a bunch!

Deb

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: