Moving an existing bathroom sink - easy?

Old 11-25-05, 07:05 PM
elerch
Visiting Guest
Moving an existing bathroom sink - easy?

Hi,

I am a new homeowner and one area that I would like to change in the new home is the downstairs bathroom sink location. Currently it is right next to the bathroom door, then, on the same wall, is the washer/dryer and after that is the toilet, with much counterspace in between. I was wondering, would this be an easy "do it yourself" job to move the sink closer to the toilet and shower if you are dedicated to doing the job? I've been told that it is alot of work and I'd be better off hiring a professional to do it - but I would rather attempt it by myself. In my opinion since the existing pipes are already there, and would just need to be shortened, it would not be as difficult as they are telling me. Could someone let me know? Thanks!

new homeowner...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-05, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have access to the plumbing its not that hard of a job. Go out and get yourself a starter plumbing kit and read up on sweating copper. Go get your supplies and give it a go. Just make sure you have a bucket of water and rags and/or get a bottle of Cool Gel and srpay around the area your sweating. Be careful you can start a fire real quick. Good luck.

http://www.doityourself.com/info/h2handlecopper.htm

Last edited by majakdragon; 11-25-05 at 07:51 PM. Reason: non-permitted commercial website removed and replaced with permitted DIY site
Old 11-25-05, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi elerch,
Welcome to the DIY Forums.

While what you are proposing is possible for a DIY'er, it is not a quick and easy job. Not only will you be moving the sink but you will be relocating/tying into the vent lines, relocating drain lines and removing the drywall/wall covering to get access to said lines. It is not as simple as you are imagining.

A lot will depend on the material your piping is made of. If you will be dealing with PVC/CPVC your job will be easier. If you have copper or galvanized water/drain lines it will become much more complicated. It also becomes complicated if your home is on a concrete slab instead of a crawlspace if your water/drain lines come up from the floor.

Not all drain and water lines run horizontally. Some run individually and vertical(big complication if on a slab).

If it were me proposing to do this project, I would first make sure where each water and drain line originate and if they are individual or in a concrete slab.

I am not trying to scare you out of your project but rather give you the steps to make informed decisions BEFORE jumping in.

Good luck on your project and we will always be here to help if you should need it.

Old 11-26-05, 05:54 AM
elerch
Visiting Guest
Thank you so much, it does sound alot more difficult than I thought... Maybe I'll start with something a little smaller for my first project and leave the sink where it is for now! This site is great!