Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

How to drill a hole in granite to attach a dish washer?

Old 11-30-05, 11:23 AM
Bi_Polar
Visiting Guest

We had new granite countertops installed recently and it has just come to my attention that when I pull 2 full dishwasher racks out at the same time the dishwasher is tipping forward a bit. The dishwasher has two metal tabs sticking out from the front that were screwed into our old countertop (laminate). This countertop however has no holes to do such a thing.

So the question is, what is the best way to approach securing the dishwasher? Should I drill 2 holes into the underside of the granite? If so how? Furthermore, what type of screws will actually "screw" into these holes and thus secure the dishwasher? Any other ideas as to best secure this device are welcome.

Thanks in advance to all!

Scott

Old 11-30-05, 11:35 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I am not an expert in this field but I have seen it recommended in the Forums to secure (epoxy) a piece of wood to the countertop (if you have enough room) and then screw into the wood. I am sure you do not want to take the chance of splitting the Granite top.
Watch this post for the experts opinions and answers. Good luck.

Old 11-30-05, 06:04 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Solid-surface or stone counters require that screw anchors be installed into drilled holes.

Old 12-05-05, 04:30 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Most of the time a good granite installer will attach the dishwasher as part of the installation. I've watched them drill the granite, and they put in little lead anchors into the hole for the screw. They just drill with a regular masonry bit (not with a hammer drill).

Old 12-05-05, 05:02 PM
Shawnthefixer
Visiting Guest
If you are concerned with doing this yourself, I would call the installer of the counter tops and ask what the best solution is. They will give you the best advice because they are familiar with the product. They may even do it for you. Good luck.

Old 12-06-05, 06:51 AM
I believe there are diamond bits for drilling through granite type stones.. not sure if this is the same as masonry bits.

Old 12-10-05, 06:42 PM
watkinsFL
Visiting Guest
try not to drill into the granite!

As one of the other guy said. Get some DEVCON 5 min. two-part epoxy (dries clear)...go to the hard wood section lowes or HD and get a 24" piece of wood to match your cabinets. Glue the peice of wood to the granite...held by some clamps for about 2 or 3 hours. Then attach the DW to the wood. Now all that being said, the people that installed the tops SHOULD have brought a what we call a "dishwasher strip." A dishwasher strip is exactly what I mentioned above. They should have installed the strip. Hope this helps, Tim

Old 12-14-05, 05:22 PM
Bi_Polar
Visiting Guest
Thanks to all who replied. I will be contacting the installer first and then if they give me a hard time I'll use the above advice.

Old 12-15-05, 05:04 AM
B
The dishwashers I have installed either had clips you could relocate to the sides of the dishwasher or had holes already there to put a screw through the sides of the dishwasher into the sides of the cabinet.

I've never had to go through the hassle of drilling or attaching anything to the countertop.

Old 12-15-05, 11:04 AM
S
I too had granite countertops installed. Instead of drilling holes in the underside I just used a silicone sealant to hold the dishwasher tight to the underside of the granite. Everything is now very stable. If I ever need to remove the dishwasher all I have to do is break the seal with an Exacto knife.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: