installing hardware on painted cabinets

Old 12-13-05, 08:22 AM
athomemama
Visiting Guest
installing hardware on painted cabinets

Hi! I'm new to the forums and new to home improvement!

I would like to install drawer and door pulls on my kitchen cabinets which right now do not have any hardware on them. They're typical 1980-ish plain front cabinets. This is my first home improvement by myself, so I'm a little nervous! Could I risk splintering the paint by drilling holes in them? We are going to be putting our house up for sale in a few weeks, so I don't want to risk something that won't look great...I'm looking for a relatively quick fix to impress potential buyers, not a massive repair project. What are the risks involved?

Thanks!!

Old 12-13-05, 08:31 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You should have no problems drilling holes for new hardware. I would recommend that you clamp a piece of scrap wood to the front of the cabinet, and then drill through the back of the door into the scrap. This should keep the front of the cabinet perfect. Be sure to go all the way through, and try not to mark the doors. I would recommend using Quick-Grips, but a C Clamp should work (I would protect both sides of the door with scrap if using a c-clamp).

Be sure to mark out your placements properly. I would recommend making a template out of cardboard to ensure that every handle ends up in the same place.

Also, if there used to be hardware on the doors, check for any existing holes. I replaced the hardware in my old kitchen when we moved in, and had to re-drill holes for some of the hardware. For other doors, I needed to use washers, as the previous owner had drilled counter-sunk holes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: