Bathtub space too big??

Old 12-25-05, 10:37 AM
esimon
Visiting Guest
Bathtub space too big??

We recently decided to remodel the bathroom and chose a two piece tub/shower combo. I have discovered two issues since then.
First: the distance from stud to stud is 61". The unit is 60" and the manufacturer recommends no more then an 1/8" space between unit and walls. I thought of installing the gyproc behind the unit on both walls first (the back is an outside wall I would leave as stud) and then installing the ledger boards to take up the slack. Is this the way to do it?
Second: because it is an acrylic unit it calls for a mortar bed. The problem is that I have to assemble it before I install it and I cannot access it from both sides to lift it over the mortar bed and make sure it is on the ledger boards. Can I install the tub on the mortar bed and then remove it once it sets in a couple of days put the unit together and the slide/wiggle it back into place?

Thanks for any direction you can give me.

Old 12-25-05, 02:53 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
esimon,

Not knowing what brand you purchased, it is always best to make the rough opening exactly s the manufacturer suggestes. It would be simple to sister another 2x4 onto the existing at the rear of the tub to provide the 60" rough opening and be done with it. What you suggest is time consuming and not recommended.

Following the directions per the manufacture for installation. Lack of support causes squeaks, in some cases leaks at drain pipe fittings and worst of all cracks in the finish material. Most manufacturers recommend or suggest installing a mortar base support under the tub/shower bottom before setting units in place. You can use either a bag of Quikcrete or a 5 gallon pail of pre-mix joint compound. ( usually I use the pre-mix 5 gallon...lazy and it's less mess) You can lay poly down under the unit prior to doing the final install as this will prevent any moisture issues while this is drying.

When this sets up, usually with 24-48 hours, your underside will be rock solid supported extremely well!

This does 2 things, prevents any possibility of potential cracking within the fiberglass/acrylic and eliminates any movement (even with the lighter steel tubs) at the drain assembly or potential leaks that could happen.

Doing what you suggested is not the way to install it. You need an extra pair of hands to help. If need be, lift this into place, then slowly drop it down. Stand in tub, ensure that all is plumb and then anchor with screws via the flanges.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-26-05, 10:39 AM
esimon
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice. Because the bathroom is 5'1" wide and 11'4" long would it be better to use 1X2 to fur out the entire length of wall so that the gyproc lines up properly or should I just fur the tub and use a transition material like tile to finish off the edge? Thanks again.

Old 12-26-05, 10:58 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
esimon,

I would do as I suggested for the tub/shower rough opening. Install your tub/shower unit as I recommended.

Once you have done this, use 1/4" fur strips so that the drywall can be placed over the flanges of the tub/shower unit. Then drywall can be placed over this and avoid and "bow out" of the drywall.

It will look great!

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: