Ice Maker Fridge

Old 01-04-06, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Ice Maker Fridge

I just bought a new home, we settle soon! At any rate, the kitchen is set up so that the sink is on one end of the kitchen, and the fridge on the other. There is easily 8 feet between the two if you go in a straight line from one to the other. Also, the two are on perpendicular walls so that if you are at the fridge, the sink is on the wall to your right. We will need to purchase new appliances and I would like the convenience of an icemaker, but I'm not sure it's worth trying to run a line from the water supply, behind the cabinets, and to the fridge. If a leak were to develop somewhere, it would cause a HUGE mess. Especially if it is a small one and it goes unnoticed for a long time and ruins the cabinets. At any rate, I was wondering if anyone had thoughts as to whether it's even worth investing in a fridge with an icemaker, or if I should just go the old fashioned route and fill the trays at the sink.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-06, 01:04 PM
I have to assume that your house is on a slab or you would be running the waterline in the crawlspace or basement. The tubing for icemakers is plastic and rarely leaks. It is the connections at the supply or the frig that leak. I would suggest installing a tee and valve rather than one of those piercing valves. You could run soft copper but the cost would be much more. good luck.

Old 01-04-06, 02:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I agree on possibly running copper line to the refrigerator. It costs a little more, but I guess I'm just old fashioned and like something solid. There is nothing wrong with the plastic, it is just the idea of plastic.
Don't not get an icemaker for fear of a leak. You don't fear a leak in your commode, dishwasher, sinks, etc. do you? It can happen, but with proper installation and materials, it should last quite a long time.
Good luck with the installation.

Old 01-04-06, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by lasalleteach79
At any rate, I was wondering if anyone had thoughts as to whether it's even worth investing in a fridge with an icemaker, or if I should just go the old fashioned route and fill the trays at the sink.

Thanks!!
If this is your question, then my answer is yes it is worth it.
It's a nice feature and will eliminate a reason for someone to not like your house should you decide to sell. Good Luck