Painting Over Shower Tile

Old 01-07-06, 08:18 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting Over Shower Tile

I read in this section a suggestion that one could paint over ceramic shower tile using two-part expoxy acrylic paint. Has anyone done this? We have a shower stall in a 35-year old house with blue tile on three sides. If someone has tried this, how difficult was it? Does the paint completely cover tile and grout, leaving a smooth surface? Can the fiberglass shower pan be painted also? Thank you.

Last edited by pam1; 01-07-06 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Add one word
Old 01-07-06, 10:18 AM
Sorry, but I have never seen this be done and the final product come out good. I seen one that was a couple years old and the paint was bubbling off. This could have been incorrectly from the start for all I know. Good luck and I hope that it works better for you than what I have seen. Maybe someone else could help you out more?

Old 01-07-06, 02:26 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
From the standpoint of long-term durability, painting shower tiles is not recommended. Most opt to decorate around the color of existing tiles or replace tiles.

Old 01-08-06, 07:30 AM
M
Painting Tile

Painting ceramic tile is fine, just not in the shower area.

No paint will hold up to that kind of water exposure.

Consider installing a wall surround.

Old 01-13-06, 06:14 AM
I've done this! The prep work was the biggest concern, making sure you get each & every bit of soap scum off of the tile. I have the small tiles, so maybe that made a difference, it bought me 5 years (with one touch up)..yes, I still needed to do it right evetually, but it beat having to look at ugly tile until I could afford to do otherwise!

Wanted to add..I just used marine paint.

Old 01-16-06, 10:07 AM
I
If you search around the internet you find things like Klenk's, Tough as Tile, and a Rustoleum product available for use. People who have used both the Klenk's and Tough as Tile seem to prefer the Tough as Tile product. .Other than that I can draw no real conclusion since there isn't enough good data to suggest if the products are really any good. There simple isn't enough data, and you have no way of knowing how well they may have prepped the surface before painting or treating it afterwards.

Obviously, the best way to fix it is to have the tile (or tub or sink) replaced. Professional painting (sometimes referred to as refinishing) costs about 1/2 the cost of a new tub, and gives questionable results. I suspect that a lot of people who di it themselves simply aren't prepping the items properly since most people seem to have a natural aversion to sanding anything.

I personally have seen two tubs that were painted. Both professionally, and you could not tell that it was painted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: