New Caulk in shower stall loosened up on me

Old 01-11-06, 07:36 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question New Caulk in shower stall loosened up on me

Hey friends

I dont know what happened here...but in my shower stall...i wanted to take out the bead of caulk at the base of the wall tile where it meets the top of the plasic shower bottom...i used a caulk removal tool to take that out...got most of it out and only had small remains of caulk in a few places...but i definately got it out where i had a complete gap going all the way around

so i put the shower/bath silicone caulk in (last saturday)....smoothed with my finger..let it dry over 36 hours like it said....now on wed morning i noticed that its all coming out..i mean it like wet newspaper...it comes out in shreds when i rub my finger over it....almost like it never cured or something?

any ideas what i did wrong?

thanks
bam

Old 01-11-06, 04:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The surface must be completely dry, and overnight don't get it. Obviously the reason you are having to replace it is because moisture got behind it. So you need to abandon the shower for a few days, set a fan in the opening to dry the joint, take ALL the old caulking out, and if necessary use something like MEK, Methyl Ethyl Keytone to get it all out and off the surface. Use proper ventilation. Don't use a latex product for this job, as I think pure silicone would serve you better. There will be others to chime in on their preferred methods, so you will have to choose what you think is best for your situation. Good luck with the project.

Old 01-11-06, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The first thought I had was that you didn’t use a silicone caulk and may have used a painters caulk, that would have explained it. But you say that you waited 36 hours, a little more than overnight, and still you have trouble. So, I say this…..the caulk that you placed in the void was either an extremely old tube, or the area that was caulked was not prepped good enough. I am going to go with the not prepped good enough guess. So, after you remove this caulk, prep the area like Chandler said. But this time, go buy some new caulk off of the shelf. Make sure it says 100% silicone, as this is what you should be using.

Once a tube of caulk freezes, it acts a little funny when its applied, this may have happened to you, and also, caulk doesn’t have an eternal shelf life. Good luck and let us know how that turns out for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: