support for zodiac countertop overhang

Old 01-20-06, 01:59 PM
map686
Visiting Guest
support for zodiac countertop overhang

A client of mine is having a zodiac countertop / breakfast area installed. I'm the carpenter on the job. The counter installer says the top needs to be supported. The overhang is 11". Is a support needed? And if so, any ideas on how to support and hide the support. Client does not want corbels or anything visable. I have never worked with this product. The countertop is 23" wide X 74" long and will have a base under it of 12" X 74". Any help would be great! Thanks to all the guys on this site that make it work.
Thanks again, mp

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-06, 02:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
mp
Man, that's tough, without allowing corbels. What type backing does the zodiac have? if it is a cabinet grade plywood in at least 3/4", it may be self supporting enough. I don't like the 11" overhang without something under it. All it will take is a heavy elbow and it will crack the overlayment. I note Rockler has a new line of corbels that aren't ornate, and may satisfy the customer by not making it too opulent, but it is a zodiac, so go figure. Good luck. Post back with what the results are. Very interested.

Old 01-22-06, 06:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
support for ZODIAQ countertop overhang

Normally Zodiaq (spelled with a q) can be cantilevered up to 12" for 2cm Zodiaq or 15" for 3cm Zodiaq without additional support. However, in this case you have almost 1/2 of the width (11/23) overhanging the base. The issue is tipping. You're supposed to use only flexible adhesives (silicone) to adhere Zodiaq to wood, and no mechanical fasteners (screws). So, you're only left with corbels or other supports. Would it be feasible to use steel bars (say 1/2"X2"X18") at center and 6" from each end, notched into the base top and fastened with screws into the base? This would support about 3/4 of the top and should resolve any tipping issues. They would need to be ground smooth, maybe rounded on the exposed ends, then primed and painted, or use stainless steel. Fasten them to the cabinets with screws level with the base top, set the Zodiaq in place, and silicone around the perimeter. This top will weigh about 180 lbs and I certainly wouldn't want it to come crashing down on my toes. I hope this helps.

Last edited by CNTRTOP; 01-22-06 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-23-06, 03:11 PM
map686
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the input guys...What If I built a triangular shaped kind of thing out of plywood, ie.
_______
|/

What do ya think? mp

Old 01-23-06, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
support for ZODIAQ countertop overhang

This should be fine, as long as at least 2/3 to 3/4 of the top is supported, but check with the installer.