Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

How can I remove prints/pictures from ceramic tile

Old 01-22-06, 10:00 AM
W
wgc
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

The previous owner of our house installed ceramic tile on the kitchen walls and backsplash areas. It was well done and we'd just as soon keep it for a few years, but scattered around are tiles with flowers on them. I have no idea if the flowers are decals or what, but I can't stand them. I tried lightly sanding with no luck and am afraid of scuffing the tile. Can anyone help with ideas on removing the flowers?

Old 01-22-06, 10:37 AM
If they are decals, you should be able to feel the edges with a fingernail. You may also want to try a rag with very hot water on it, pressed against the flowers. Decals should peel. The flowers may be part of the tile. Good luck.

Old 01-22-06, 01:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Most likely you have fired tiles with flowers imbedded in them, and you will have to remove the tile, not just the flower. Now, you have to decide if you remove the tiles, can you find matching tiles to the remainder of the wall. If so, get a center punch and make several light hits on the tiles to crack the glaze. Then with a cold chisel, lightly tap the tile until it cracks. Pry up under the tile until all the tile is removed, replacing the tile with thinset and grout. If you can't find matching tiles, you may be forced to find contrasting tiles (without the flowers) and install them in the holes.

Old 01-23-06, 02:41 PM
What chandler said.

Except that I would suggest scraping out the grout from around the tile
first, so that if you get crazy with the hammer, you don't accidentally cause
a neighboring tile to crack or come loose.

As for matching the tiles, even if they are the generic 4x4 white tiles,
go buy some and make sure they will match. We found that two different
types of 4x4 white tiles at the local HD were very different shades of "Bright white".

Have fun

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: