Floorplan Sketch

Old 01-23-06, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Floorplan Sketch

I am getting ready to install new cabinets & countertops in our old kitchen. The floorplan will remain the same. My friend and contractor is installing the cabinets (yes, friend and contractor - not an oxymoron!). I have chosen CaesarStone for the counters.

In order to get a quote on the countertops, I need to submit drawings w/measurements. I have hand-drawn a pretty good version of the floorplan; however, I am looking for a design website or perhaps even a Windows tool which will allow me "draw" my plans electronically. I know I can FAX (and/or scan) what I have done, but I thought I might like to submit the job via an e-mail attachment. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-06, 07:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If the cabinets are installed I would have the countertop people send a representative to do the measuring. If you make a mistake, even by 1/16", you live with it or pay to have it changed. If they make the mistake, you don't lose anything. I never make measurements for another trade. It is suicide.

Old 01-23-06, 07:13 PM
The countertop people absolutely come out to measure and make a template. They won't come until the cabinets are in place and level.

The only reason I need a floorplan with my preliminary measurements is to get a bid...

Old 01-23-06, 07:55 PM
Go to one of the big boxes, most of them will draw up a set of plans for you.

Old 01-24-06, 04:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Agree. That will save you the hassle of having to buy the program, etc.

Old 01-24-06, 08:58 AM
I've been using Microsoft Visio 2003 to do plan view drawings. It's tons of fun. The learning curve isn't too steep. Visio has limitations - it aint no CADD program - but for kitchen space planning it's fine. The drawing files have a .vsg extension. You can e-mail or IM these files. The recipient does not need the Visio program to open your files. Microsoft offers a free utility program on their website you can download and view Visio drawings.
(Your space planning drawings should suffice to budget for your proposed stone countertops. As others have mentioned, your stone contractor will need to make templates on site after the cabinets are in place.)

Old 01-24-06, 10:25 AM
Excellent, Senor-Mouse...thanks for the great suggestion!

And good idea about the BB places, but I like the idea of doing it myself -- just wanted something simple.

Thanks everyone...

Old 01-24-06, 10:46 AM
1924house,

If youíd just like to dabble a bit without forking over a lot of cash, reviewers point to Data Becker Complete Home Designer 5.0 (*est. $30).

Broderbund home design software is still popular with some experts and users. Its 3D Home Design Suite Deluxe 4.0 (*est. $70) is a three-CD package that contains five programs, including the user-favorite 3D Home Architect Deluxe 4.0, which has been discontinued as a separate, single product. (The individual Home Architect Deluxe 4.0 has been replaced with the very different and low-rated Home Architect Deluxe 5.0.

Here are some to look at - they will do simple tasks.

Broderbundís 3D Home Architect Deluxe 4.0,
Broderbundís 3D Home Design Suite Deluxe,
Broderbundís 3D Home Interiors,
Broderbundís Total 3D Home Design Deluxe,
Data Beckerís Complete Home Design 5.0
IMSIís FloorPlan 3D Design Suite,
Sierraís 3D Custom Home,
Total 3D Home Deluxe

Hope this helps!

Old 01-25-06, 06:31 PM
Doug - also an excellent suggestion...Thanks everyone!