Marked Bathroom ceiling

Old 01-26-06, 06:33 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Marked Bathroom ceiling

We recently changed out bathroom. Part of the change was to completely cover the walls and floor in ceramic tiles and change the fan above the shower head.

Now we have on the ceiling around brown stains appearing around the fan and occasionally a little brown water below the fan in the bath.

I have been in the loft and I have checked that fan duct connections and they all seem to be tight and the plasterboard around the fan is dry. We have no window in the bathroom but shower with the door open to let the hot air out.

Any idea what could be causing the brown stains and brown water? Is the fan not strong enough?

Old 01-26-06, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
You said the fan was above the shower head. Is it within the confines of the shower/tub unit? It could be the reaction to excessive moisture wicking its way through the sheetrock layer. Take the cover off and see if the metal innards are rusting. It could be due to the age of the unit and, as you state, the motor could be losing power or dying. This will give you an indication as to whether you should replace it or not. In my opinion, bath fans don't last that long, and you probably should install a large enough CFM for your bath, since you have done all the other work, why look at an ugly stain?

Old 01-27-06, 12:27 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I will check the inside of the fan.

Hopefully the fan is okay - it is less than 6 months old.

Old 01-27-06, 04:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I was under the wrong impression. I thought you had done a complete remodel with the exception of the fan. Most likely the fan itself is in good shape as long as the exhaust hose is taking the moisture out and away. But the stains are coming from moisture, so by taking a better look at the fan may give the insight you need to correct it. Good luck with it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: