Turning a Bedroom into a Master Bath

Old 01-27-06, 03:29 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Turning a Bedroom into a Master Bath

Hi Im new to this forum and I am looking for some help. I am looking to buy a 4 bedroom 1.5 bath house. All 4 bedrooms are on the 2nd floor and there is only 1 bathroom upstairs. My plans were to turn one of the 3 guest bedrooms into a masterbath. I was just wondering what all has to be considered when doing this? Is it even capable of being done? If I were to hire something like this out how much do you think it would run me and how much would I save if I did this myself? I would like to put a jetted tub with seperate shower and double sink and toilet. Any help with would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

Bass

Old 01-27-06, 03:52 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Don't know how much you're capable of.... so an estimate is impossible to guess....

A lot depends on where the room is in relation to your existing drain stack and how much plumbing you're going to have to run - and what you have to run it through..... I can say - when I plan an added bath - and do all the work myself - it averages me around $3500 in materials (regular tub/shower) - my labor is free....

Old 01-27-06, 04:00 PM
B
Ok im very new to the whole remodeling thing. How would I go about finding where the drain stack was located? So if I hired it done im looking at 5000-7500 huh. Do you think it would add more value to the house to loose a bedroom and gain a masterbath?? thanks for you help!!

Bass

Old 01-28-06, 06:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
It depends on where the bathroom will be in relation to the master bedroom. If adjacent, it would be a great idea. If separated by other rooms, then it would lose its "master" qualities. Consider how you will be running the new plumbing, electrical, etc. There will be a considerable demolition in order to do this, so take it into consideration before you finalize your plans. Good luck with the project.

Old 01-28-06, 11:26 AM
B
Well the bedroom is adjacent to the master bedroom. I would def put a new door or opening of some sort from the master bedroom directly into the new bathroom if i were going to do it. In most cases is a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath house with master suite more desirable than 4 bedroom 1.5 bath house?? thanks for all the help guys!

Bass

Old 01-28-06, 07:36 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
My personal opinion is that 3 bedroom houses are more in demand than 4 bedroom homes. With all the Home Improvement shows on TV, masterbaths are in demand. You can get an idea of where your main drain stack is by looking at your roof. Normally, the main stack runs straight down from the vent that goes through the roof. You may also want to go into the attic to see if it was offset for some reason. You will probably find that it is behind your other toilet(s). Good luck.

Old 01-28-06, 07:46 PM
B
I agree with you 3 bedrooms with a master suite would bring more money. If I buy this house I am going to flip it so I am wanting to appeal to the largest customer base possible. Has anyone done this them selves? I really dont know how extensive and costly this would be. I dont own the house yet so I am going to have to look for the stack. I havent even measured the room size yet. I would think everyhting would fit very nice in a guest bedroom I know its not a tiny bedroom but its not the biggest either. Would it be hard to cover up the bedroom door and make a new door into it from the master bedroom. Thanks alot guys keep the comments coming!!

Bass

Old 02-03-06, 11:05 AM
B
Is anyone in this forum flipping houses??

Old 02-03-06, 12:46 PM
C
My advice would be; if you don't already know the answers to these questions, you shouldn't be in the house flipping business.

Good luck

Old 02-03-06, 12:50 PM
B
Im not in the business yet. I am wanting to start and thats why I am asking these questions now before I buy a house. I would like some help on some topics like this. Thanx

Bass

Old 02-03-06, 03:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Flipping will require long term deep pockets. You have your main investment. You have your remodel budget including contracted labor and materials. And then you have financing costs for the term of the flip. Not to mention permits, and the ever so apparent "unforseen" items.
On top of all this, you have to be gooooooood at remodeling, and have good contacts of subs you can trust and can get to work. Nothing can be more disheartening than to have a house half done and no crews to finish it because someone else yanked them to a better job.

Old 02-03-06, 03:04 PM
B
Thanks alot for the info chandler! Has anyone used lowes to install stuff like hardwood or cabinets??

Old 02-04-06, 05:07 AM
T
Easy things like nailing down hardwood or installing cabinets should be done by you. Labor costs will drive away any profits you could reap from flipping real fast. For the cost of the hardwood labor, you could by a flooring nailer, compressor and a host of other tools that would make the job easy. Long term, you will need these types of things anyway if you plan on purchasing and flipping a lot of houses.

Permits are a big item. On your seller's disclosure you will need to honestly list these if you had one or not. Should a permit required improvement fail after sale, you can be held liable, sometimes criminally liable, as seen by the many deck collapses a few years back.

Depending on where you live, you may or may not even be allowed to do your own electrical or plumbing, so you need to look into that as well.

While this is the bath remodeling forum, if you chose to do this yourself (honestly I think hiring out changing a bedroom to a bath you could be looking at 15k or more), if ou would like to build a shower, install a drop in tub, install a tiled floor, etc, start a thread in the flooring forum/ceramic. We can help you through every part of the project as we have all done it numerous times and can ensure you will have the best possible install. One thread, from start to finish, to include everything from floor and wall prep to tub deck and shower framing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: