Getting rid of rust in rental house tub?

Old 01-30-06, 09:43 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Getting rid of rust in rental house tub?

Hi all

I've got a house on the beach in Puerto Rico that I'm starting to rent as a vacation rental. It's an older house, and the salty ocean air has done a number on just about every metallic surface in the house. We've already done a lot to make the house nice and comfortable, but the bathroom is a thorn in my side. The bathroom, while usable, needs a little work. I'd love to rip it all out and replace everything, but that's not an option right now. I plan on replacing the sink and vanity, which should be simple enough, but the tub has some annoying rust spots in it. Not just stains, but a few spots of actual surface rust.

Is there any way to remove the surface rust in those areas and cover with one of those chip-repair products? Anyone know of the best way to do this?
I'd love to replace the tub (and tile, and any number of other things in the house) but right now I'd be happy with just making it look nicer for the renters.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-30-06, 03:14 PM
Bill Syms Jr.
Visiting Guest
Rust removal

Getting rid of surface rust on a porcelain bathtub could be as easy as taking a piece of wet / dry 220 grit sandpaper and sanding it off.

Sometimes removing the rust will expose the cast iron or pressed steel under the porcelain or enamal finish.

Depending on the size of the rust area(s) you can repair them with a porcelain touch up kit that most home improvement stores carry.

Clean the rust off with sandpaper, clean debris and dry. Next follow the directions of the product. Most are like a bottle of nail polish complete with a tiny brush that you will use in applying the product to the rusted area.

These types of repairs tend to be temporary,meaning you will have to re-apply every once in a while.

Or you could see if there is a bathtub reglazing company there in Puerto Rico and have the bathtub professionally reglazed, making the tub look like you installed a new one. A technitian comes in and sprays a coating on the tub right in place and is ready to use in about 36 hours or less depending on what kind of product the company uses.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-31-06, 06:25 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably go with the sanding/touch-up kit solution for now. I'm okay with having to re-touch from time to time, and full replacement or even reglazing is more than we can spend on it right now.

I'll be going at the end of the month for a vacation/house-check before my first renter shows up and will be both replacing the sink/vanity and trying out this tub fix.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: