stink

Old 02-02-06, 05:33 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
stink

I have a bathroom in my basement and the sink drain stinks when you run hot water down the drain. Cold water takes the smell away. The drain is not clogged? What can I do to get rid of the smell? thanks for any suggestions.

Old 02-02-06, 07:35 AM
Bill Syms Jr.
Visiting Guest
Sink drain

Does your sink drain into a "J BEND"?

This is the curved pipe all fixtures drain into holding water in the bottom of the bend which prevents the smell from the sewer lines / system comming back up through the drains / overflows.

Old 02-03-06, 07:50 PM
S
trap

The sink has a trap that is more a horseshoe than anything else.....I get the idea that the probelm is a sewer stink backing up. Is there anyway to stop it? thank you

Old 02-03-06, 08:26 PM
B
Your water heater may be causing the smell if its just your hot water.
Something to do the the anode in it.

Old 02-05-06, 08:36 PM
S
only this drain

The smell comes only from this sink drain.....so I believe it cannot be the water tank......I am willing to do plumbing butI am not sure what to do? thanks again

Old 02-06-06, 04:35 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you can, try looking down the sink drain to see if there is water in the trap. If it doesn't get used much, it may dry out. You could just remove the trap to check. If the sink drain isn't vented, it could get sucked dry when other fixtures are used. It may just be bacteria growing. You could put the plug in the sink, pour a cup of bleach into the sink and run water into the sink (slowly so you don't splash the bleach) and let it go down the sink overflow hole(s). If it is bacteria, when you run hot water the heat lets the fumes rise and thats why you smell it. Good luck.

Old 02-08-06, 06:37 AM
S
problem solved

I poured bleach down the sink drain and the problem is gone so you were correct. thanks for the suggestion.

Old 02-12-06, 05:00 AM
J
Good call!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: