re-doing kitchen cabinets

Old 02-08-06, 02:50 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
re-doing kitchen cabinets

Hi everyone.

I hope someone can give me advice. I have 4 year old birch kitchen cabinets from KraftMaid that are finished with a light colored wash that allows the birch grain to show through. The cabinets are in excellent condition, but I do not like the finish and want to paint the cabinets instead. I will be using a dark paint. So my questions are:

1. What is the best method of prepping the cabinets: strip it with something or scuff it?

2. How to prime them- what product would you recommend?

3. Can you give me the names of some excellent-quality, furniture-grade paint- and would you choose latex or oil-based? We don't have (and won't have) children, and don't cook a lot of greasy stuff, so the cabinets won't get a lot of harsh use.

Thanks for any help you may be able to throw my way!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-06, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just noticed at Lowes there is a paint specifically for cabinets now. It's 14.98 a quart however. But unless you have an extremely large amount of cabinets 2 would probably do it. You'll have to ask if it can be tinted though. That I don't know. Other than that I have heard to use automotive paint, which actually makes a lot of sense considering the elements your car goes through. Not to mention, color choices would be unending. Good Luck. I just painted some in a rental unit I have and put cut panels of plexi ( actually it's the same stuff you put in your ceiling light panels, they cut it for me at Lowes) in a couple of them with some touch lights inside and what a tremendous difference. The kitchen looks new and much more modern. Have fun.