Installing Shower Surround with Window

Old 02-09-06, 07:40 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing Shower Surround with Window

I have read numerous threads regarding these issues but none specifically addressed my concerns so here's what I'm dealing with:

I live in a brick 1930's bungalow with a tiny bathroom that needs remodeling. Classic dilemma...the window in the shower. We would like to remove the old cast iron tub and install a shower surround. I have heard you can cut a shower surround to accommodate a window. Regarding the window, do they make waterproof windows? If not, we were thinking an acrylic block window might work. I would imagine installing the block window flush with the surround would be the way to go? How would you finish off the seam where the block meets the edges of the surround where you cut it out to accommodate the window? Also, the walls are lathe and plaster. Do we need to tear out all the existing ceramic tile above the tub or can we leave it and merely install the surround over it? If not, do we need to tear it ALL out and put up greenboard before we install the surround? Some folks have suggested simply putting the surround over the window, obscuring it. I don't think that would be wise considering condensation between the surround and the window and the stupidity of covering a perfectly good window. We are planning on installing an exhaust fan also. We even thought about bricking in the window but it's difficult to match this old red brick and I really would prefer the light a window provides....ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Old 02-10-06, 06:37 AM
clickmymouse,

Modifying a plastic or acrylic surround is not recommended unless yo are considering a MAAX surround. I don't favor these.

Alternative would be a cultured marble, solid surface surrounds or ceramic tile, if your budget allows.

Here are some examples of glass block within showers.

http://dougaphs.smugmug.com/gallery/229281

Hope this helps!

Old 02-16-06, 03:32 PM
C
Modifying a plastic or acrylic surround is not recommended unless you are considering a MAAX surround. I don't favor these.
What exactly does a MAAX surround have that would make it the one to use and why do you not favor them?

Old 02-16-06, 04:16 PM
clickmymouse,

My mistake, I was referring to E.L. Mustee - see the link below.

http://www.mustee.com/bathwall.shtml

Surrounds like MAAX are not meant to be cut and modified. When it comes to windows and purchasing a higher end surround, you are limited to a "flat" surround product that requires cutting and more molding pcs. that are subject to more caulk and joints which require constant cleaning. This is my own personal opinion based upon client complaints.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: