Cutting Laminated Countertops

Old 02-15-06, 05:35 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting Laminated Countertops

I plan to use a piece of countertop as a desk by mounting it to the wall in a corner. Unfortunately, the wall is not square in the corner, and I want to do a taper cut on the countertop to make the back edge 1/8th of an inch shorter while leaving it untouched 2 1/2 inches from the back edge. This countertop has a 3 3/4 inch tall backsplash also. What would be the best method to make a nice straight cut and keep the laminate from chipping? I thought about using my miter saw by placing the countertop on the base and turning the blade to the angle needed for the cut. The backsplash will fit under the blade of the saw, but will the laminate chip badly is the question.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-06, 05:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Pat: yes the carbide tips on the cutoff saw will tend to chip the laminate unless you go reeeeaaaal slow. A good quality fine tooth plywood set-tooth blade will probably be your best bet. Now, I understand you will only be taking off less than 8" or so of the back left side, right. Will the cutoff saw do this for you, or should you do it with a circular saw? In buying the blade, you will find the 7 1/4" will be cheaper than the 10 or 12" ones, so that is a consideration. Place tape on the good side of the cut line. This will help with possible scarring from the sole plate of the saw if you use circular. Good luck!!