Removing Fiberglass/surround bath wall

Old 02-18-06, 06:52 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing Fiberglass/surround bath wall

I own a duplex and am remodeling the bathroom in my upper unit. It looks like I have a 3 piece surround, which I would like to remove without damaging the finished wall too much. I don't have experience with surrounds, and I don't know how it was installed initially, but would like to replace the surround with a new one. No luck in searching on how to remove it. Can I just pry apart the 3 piece with a crowbar? Any suggestions appreciated!

Old 02-18-06, 07:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
The 3 pieces are installed with construction adhesive, or the like, and the likelihood of you removing it without damaging the wall is like winning the 365 million lottery this evening. Prepare yourself for just tearing it out (of course, as carefully as you can), strip off all the residual glue, reaseal the backing, if possible, and reinstall the new surrounds. Is the old one damaged, or just ugly? Trying to figure out why you want to remove it. You didn't say in your post. Good luck with the project!!

Old 02-18-06, 07:57 PM
T
Originally Posted by chandler
The 3 pieces are installed with construction adhesive, or the like, and the likelihood of you removing it without damaging the wall is like winning the 365 million lottery this evening. Prepare yourself for just tearing it out (of course, as carefully as you can), strip off all the residual glue, reaseal the backing, if possible, and reinstall the new surrounds. Is the old one damaged, or just ugly? Trying to figure out why you want to remove it. You didn't say in your post. Good luck with the project!!
Whats the best way to get the residual glue off? I have tried several things but I keep damaging the shower wall!

Old 02-19-06, 06:55 AM
T
My surround is just ugly, many scratches, peeling paint, etc. and I thought now would be the time to take care of it.... thanks for the suggestion!

Old 02-19-06, 02:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
If it were me, I would cut the wall just below the line where the tub panels end, and replace them with 1/2" backer board, insuring a smooth surface. Discounting that possibility, the adhesive can be scraped off with a wide putty knive, and the surface redone with sheetrock compound and sealed with primer and a good paint prior to installation of the new panels.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: