Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Should my island cabinets match my other cabinets?

Old 02-19-06, 09:51 AM
U
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am building a new kitchen and I am going to use a vanilla cream with charcoal glaze for my cabinets and dark cherry for my island. Has anyone used a slightly different cabinet style for their islands? I can't seem to find any pictures of this in my books... how does this look?
Thanks for any help.

Old 02-19-06, 11:15 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Likes on 1,140 Posts
It's impossible to make wood match, but you want it to blend. I have seen many different combinations that blend well together, including an oak stained oak railing sitting on poly only pine stringers on my in-laws' lake home staircase. However, my personal opinion only, I would stick to one theme in my kitchen.

Old 02-19-06, 11:25 AM
U
Maybe I was not clear... I am talking about using a different cabinet (panel) style for the island compared to the other cabinets. The island would be cherry and stained and the rest of the kitchen would be painted cabinets. But, I am thinking of using slightly different cabinet styles, but I have not been able to see any pictures of this being used. Thanks

Old 02-19-06, 11:35 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Your post was clear, obviously mine was not. Simply, you are contemplating two different themes for your cabinets. It might end up looking great, but I would not use two themes in my own kitchen.

Old 02-20-06, 06:11 AM
J
If there is no other cherry anywhere in the kitchen I think that would look bad. It should match something.

Old 02-20-06, 06:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personal opinion: I think the island will stick out and look like an afterthought. This may be the reason you cannot find any pictures of what you are looking for. It's your house though. Do what is pleasing to your eye. Good luck with your project.

Old 02-20-06, 07:25 AM
B
I can't seem to find any pictures of this in my books... how does this look?

Old 02-20-06, 10:59 AM
U
Are those both maple? I have never seen an island like that. Is it comfortable to use for the seating? Do you feel trapped while sitting there? I had the worst time designing the island. I could have done something like this, but I was afraid it would feel strange once it was being used. It's hard to get everything you want to work out right.

Old 02-20-06, 11:42 AM
i've seen lots of kitchens that mix & match cabinet finishes - some will do the island in a accent color/finish, different from the other wall cabinets, and some that have done the lowers different from the uppers. but i believe the cabinet door styles were the same for all. except, of course, to maybe use glass on the uppers and solid doors on lowers. i think that using the same style would be the unifying element to make them go together. something should be the same for unity. either the stain/color, or the style.

Old 02-20-06, 01:09 PM
unclemoey,

As everyone has pointed out, what you like is important, first and foremost.

Mixing and matching is not a bad thing when done right. It depends on what you are wanting to highlight within the kitchen. Adding accent lighting, either within a cabinet or outside can make a difference. The intended purposes of islands and what types/style of cabinets you purchase is important. Maybe you are going to have a breakfast bar arrangement with bar stools, maybe a book storage area versus having all door/drawer cabinets. The combinations can be many. The accessories available today are numerous.

Here are a few views of kitchen layouts, I have included mixed sets.

http://dougaphs.smugmug.com/gallery/1218756

Hope this helps!

Old 02-20-06, 04:54 PM
B
"Are those both maple?"

IIRC, they were beech. Same style cabinets just one had a parchment glaze and the other had ebony distressed glaze.

"Is it comfortable to use for the seating? Do you feel trapped while sitting there?"

I only had the chance to sit there a couple of times but it was rather comfortable.

Old 02-21-06, 01:13 PM
W
i did exactly what what u are asking about it looks great, i went with a cherry island and a butterscotch??? color for the rest of the kitchen. if u would like a pic let me know ill post it or email

Old 02-21-06, 02:25 PM
U
Yes, I would be interested. I sent a message to you with my email address. Thanks

Old 02-25-06, 01:47 PM
B
Not necessarily...

I have seen a trend lately in which the island is created to look like a piece of furniture and not built in - therefore not exactly matching the wall cabinets. I wanted to do this in our kitchen, but DH said no. Are you planning on using any trim or feet on the island to give the illusion of free standing furniture?

Kara

Old 02-25-06, 03:37 PM
U
That's what I was thinking... I ordered them yesterday. I added some posts to the corners, but there were other things I would have liked to have done if my budget allowed. This is for a spec house and I am already over budget. My hood ran me over $6,000, which was 3 times what I wanted... so, I have to start cutting costs somehow. I also have to do a kitchen at some point for my parents and I am trying to get ideas for this as well for their project. On that project I can maybe go all out. I prefer the look furniture look... instead of just a bunch of cabinets sitting in the middle of the kitchen... I prefer to have at least panels on the back and sides of the island.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: