Adding a "spacer to 42" cabinets

Old 02-20-06, 07:13 AM
pjb
Visiting Guest
Adding a "spacer to 42" cabinets

I'm looking at puting in full overlay door 42" cabinets that will go to the ceiling. The salesperson over at HD said that if you want a 3/4" trim molding on top with the fullover lay doors, then you have to adda 1/2" spacer on top of each cabinet. Can this be done with seperate pices of 1/2" stock attached to the top of the fronts, backs and sides, or is a full piece of plywood cut to match the cabinet top?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-06, 06:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You could just rim the cabinet with the dimension lumber, since the cabinets themselves will be held up with wall screws. All you will be doing is giving yourself a nailing surface for the trim molding. Check to make sure 1/2" will be enough. If I understand you correctly the doors will cover the entire surface of the face of the cabinet. If so, putting a 3/4" piece of molding on a 1/2" piece of stock won't allow for proper door movement.

Old 02-21-06, 03:43 PM
pjb
Visiting Guest
Will do Chandler. When the cabinets come in I will measure exact to see what i need for a spacer. As long as we are on the topic, here is another question. If go with the plan above, the 3/4" triple bead molding will be on top with about 1/4" or so space from the botom of the molding to the top of the cabinet doors. Now, what if the ceiling, say running left to right facing the cabinet is not level. If it were 1/4" off for A 6' run, the molding will have the desired 1/4" space on one end, but it would be right at the door on the other end (Cabintet set level, ceiling not level.) This would not be obvious if I had a couple of inches to play with, but in this instance, I think it would. Would I be better off running the wall cabinets flush with the ceiling so the gap between the molding and top of door is uniform, running them level, or splitting the difference?

Old 02-21-06, 06:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Using a straight, and I mean straight 2x4 and a level, let's go ahead and check the drop, if any, in the run of the ceiling along where you plan to put the cabinets. At least you will know IF you have a problem, and can attack it. If it is straight, then our "what ifs" are unfounded. If it drops too much, we may have to go to plan "B" and do as you suggest and flush them to the ceiling. Post back with the results.

Old 02-22-06, 04:16 PM
pjb
Visiting Guest
The only run I have to worry about is 62 1/4" fro the wall to a fridge pannel. It drops a bit under 5/32" end to end. I'm thinking about putting them flush with the ceiling and no one will ever know the difference.