Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

best way to remove ceramic tile from bathtub wall

Old 02-21-06, 11:21 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

what is the best way to remove the ceramic tile on the walls above the bathtub. i want to remove what ever the tile is attatched to and put up new greenboard, is it best to chip away at the tile, or cut it out in pieces, any help is appreciated, thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-06, 05:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
C-4 comes to mind, but not practical. Since you already have the proper mindset to replace all the wall boards, it doesn't really matter how it comes down. Wear eye protection and use a big hammer. cover your tub with a packing blanket and bring down the wall. It may come down in large pieces, and they will be heavy, since the tile will still be attached. If you plan on retiling, greenboard may or may not be the best choice. I would use hardibacker or cement board as a backer to install the tile. Post back if we can help further.

Old 02-21-06, 05:31 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The easiest way to get tile off I'e found is using a flatbar and pry out a few tiles, then just slide the flat bar behind them and they will fall off like domino's.

for the record, forget greend board was ever produced since it's not used anymore by professionals, it has been found to actually hold in moisture and produce mold...especially in a shower area, your only choice is cement board. FWIW, removing the tile will be the quick and easy part, it's gutting the existing backerboard that makes a huge mess and a pita.

Old 02-23-06, 02:07 PM
C
Thanks for the info. I did actually mean cement board , Im new to the reno thing, i have a much a better understanding to how to go about it, i am going to put a tub surround up rather then deal with grout again, again thanks for the help.