Deciding on Bathtub Type

Old 02-23-06, 09:59 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deciding on Bathtub Type

Hello, I am in the middle of remodeling two of my bathrooms and want to replace the tubs. These bathrooms are typical of mid-80's design, they are as wide as a standard bathtub (60"). Both tubs are 20 years old and made of enameled steel. For a replacement tub, I think cast iron is out since it is so heavy and I am not sure what structural modifications might need to be made. That leaves enameled steel or a synthetic. American Standard has a material called "Americast". Does anyone have an opinion on a tub made of this material and how does it compare to enameled steel?

Thanks for your assistance!

Old 02-23-06, 03:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The modern tubs, whether they are fiberglas or cast materials are for the most part as good as the money you spend on them. I have seen the cheaper models bend with moderate weight in them. The better the construction, the more you will pay. Before you bring in the reciprocating saw, make sure you will be able to bring the new tub unit through your doors and angle it through hallways, if any. You also know you will be rebuilding the surrounding walls where you tear out the lip of the existing tub, right? In order to get the new one in place, make sure it will sit flat on your bathroom floor and that you can slide it , because that is the only way you will put a 60" tub in a 60" opening. You will probably have to take off the door case molding in order to get it lined up. If it is cantered at all, it will not go. Post back if we can help further

Old 02-25-06, 05:46 AM
P
Originally Posted by chandler
The modern tubs, whether they are fiberglas or cast materials are for the most part as good as the money you spend on them. I have seen the cheaper models bend with moderate weight in them. The better the construction, the more you will pay.
Knowing very little about tubs, what does this equate to? Right now, I'm looking at American Standard and Kohler tubs in the $250 - $400 range.

Originally Posted by chandler
Before you bring in the reciprocating saw, make sure you will be able to bring the new tub unit through your doors and angle it through hallways, if any. You also know you will be rebuilding the surrounding walls where you tear out the lip of the existing tub, right?
Yes, I will have the shower area gutted down to the studs and have new concrete board and tile installed.

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-25-06, 06:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
In my opinion, the Kohler tubs seem to have more base support than the other brands. The price range you are talking about is about right. You can get units for less than $150, but you wouldn't be satisfied with the quality. I think you have it together, so good luck with the project!!

Old 03-04-06, 09:05 AM
I'm having the same delima. Contractor is suggesting American Standard, Americast tub.

I have experience with enameled steel and acrylic/fiberglass tubs,
and they seem to be OK.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: