How do I mount a microwave?

Old 02-27-06, 12:57 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question How do I mount a microwave?

Hi.

I was wondering how would I go about mounting a mounting microwave over the range when currently there is already a fan and light above the range?

Thanks a bunch,
Hasina

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-06, 01:48 PM
B
the old hood would come out, you would most likely have to reroute the wire and install an outlet in the cabinet above the hood from there you would follow the instructions included with the new microwave. Its quite simple. just make sure the new microwave will fit the space you are putting it into. If your hood is vented to the outside you will most likely have to convert the new microwave over to allow for that (parts are included) or if its vented into the room you just have to install it as it comes.

Old 02-27-06, 02:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Just so we are in the same pew and same hymnbook, you are talking about an under the counter microwave, meant to be mounted in that location, right? If so, moving the wiring and adding the outlet is your first project. The microwave will have its own fan and light built in, so the one you have now is redundant. Now, if you are talking about mounting a regular countertop type microwave there, you can't do it. You can mount it on a shelf anywhere else in your kitchen area, but not over the stove.

Old 02-27-06, 06:43 PM
How do I mount a microwave?

It is not as easy as you would think if you have a newer microwave designed for use over a stove. they can be heavy and all the weight is in one end.

The two problems beyong providing power (everyone has a different situation) and the venting (exterior or recirculating) is the attachment of the brackets to the wall and the alignment.

The brackets have good templates and you do not know if they are correctly mounted until you get the microwave into place or close to that.

Wrestling the microwave is not a one-man job because of the balance and weight. It would be nice to have three people (two to hold and one to attach), but there is not enough room. If possible, get the stove out of the way and pull out a refridgerator if it is close.

Be prepared to put the beast in place and pull it out so all the critiacal items (power, vent and clearance from cabinets) are aligned and OK. It will take longer to do than you think.

I paid to have mine installed by two people who do it all the time and had the tools. As I watched the two or three hour ordeal, I felt I made the right choice. The job was done perfectly but it took a few tricks learned by experience and an ability to work closely with someone else.

Dick

Old 02-27-06, 08:33 PM
B
"As I watched the two or three hour ordeal"

I would seriously have to fire myself if it took that long, and all the ones I've done have been by myself.

I will agree that if you are not accustomed to moving and positioning heavy items by yourself then an extra hand or two would be helpful.

Old 02-28-06, 08:59 AM
M
Ditto. I'm just a DIYer and installed mine in less than an hour not counting the wiring and new outlet. By myself.