Replacing jacuzzi tub & surround

Old 03-14-06, 02:28 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing jacuzzi tub & surround

I hate our bathroom. The previous owners took a *very* small space and painted it a dark purple color (gee, you think that makes it look *bigger*? Nuh-uh.) and installed a jacuzzi tub - I guess they thought it was a selling point? Anyway, the jacuzzi tub is *tiny*. The need for space for all those jets takes up *way* too much room, and you can't even sit in it. We only use the tub to give our 2 year old baths in it, and the jets scare him.

Anyway, I want to remove the surround (it's not attached to the tub - just caulked to it) - that nasty "plastic wall" - from the wall. I'm told it can be done by scoring/cutting the caulking and using a putty knife to gently pry it from the wall - which is cool. I'd *love* to replace the jacuzzi POS with a regular tub (preferably a nice, big claw-footer - but in my dreams!), but I feel the tub replacement will have to come later on. (Unless anyone has a suggestion - I don't know what would go into removing a jacuzzi and replacing it with a regular tub.)

So my question is this: If I remove the "plastic wall", what should I look for behind it? What I want to do is repaint in a brighter color and put up wainscoting - both to look better and act as a shelf for shampoos and such. But I'm afraid of what I might find if I remove that surround and see black streaks or something. I just don't know what I should look for.

Alternatively, if it looks fine (and honestly, I can't imagine issues, since there are rooms flanking the bathroom, and neither of them have any issues), I want to be sure I "do the right thing" -my father-in-law is a DIY'er for a looooong time, and he gave us two buckets of primer paint that is "moisture proof" (I can't remember what it's called, though) to paint over the walls.

Anyway, I just want to know what to look for, if anyone could give me advice on this project. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-06, 06:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
What you will find once you remove the panels is an ugly lambrynth of pipes, pump, unfinished flooring, etc. That's why the panels are there. Unless you plan on replacing the tub, you will have to replace the panels with, as you say, wainscotting, or some other neutral substance. Take length and width measurements of your tub and the location of the drain to see if a "stock" tub would fit in the opening. This will give you your future options.
Go for your dreams!! Look at salvage yards, older renovations, etc. to see if you can find a claw foot tub. You will have to refinish the floor where the older tub is, but it is doable. Post back if we can help further.

Old 03-15-06, 07:54 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chandler
What you will find once you remove the panels is an ugly lambrynth of pipes, pump, unfinished flooring, etc. That's why the panels are there.
That's odd, because the panels are not attached to the tub, and they are overlaying the drywall in the bathroom. It's like they just stuck it up on the wall and caulked all the way around the panels so they would stick.

Anyway, I'm sure a regular tub would fit in the space - this is the smallest jacuzzi tub I've ever seen in my life. It's smaller than the regular tub that was in my old house - I think simply because they had to squeeze in the areas to make room for the jets - thus making the actual "tub" area that much smaller.

Plus, I know lots of farmers that use claw-footers as feeding troughs for livestock Maybe I can coax one of them to trade out or something!

Thanks a bunch