Ideas for using closet space.

Old 03-15-06, 03:55 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ideas for using closet space.

I have a 21" wide closet in my bathroom, the same depth as the width of the tub, at the end of the tub, behind the door. I don't use it at all, it's just a big open space inside, like a broom closet with one high small shelf at the top. When we remodel the bathroom, what could we do to make this space more useful?

Would it be major to move the water supply and controls to the other end of the tub, into the outside wall? This would give us more space at the foot end (where the closet is now)

Any thoughts?

Old 03-15-06, 05:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I suppose you could move the supply lines to the other end, but you also will have to deal with the drain and overflow tubing at the head end of the tub. Essentially you will have to remove this tub and purchase a tub with the opposite "hand" holes. You may have a right hand tub now, and will need a left hand tub. I avoid installing supply lines on outside walls due to exposure to freezing. So, bottom line, you can do it, but wow what a job. I would leave the closet, shelf it with wire shelving and use it for towel, soap, toiletry storage and a louvered bifold door to cover it all up. What would you propose to do with the "extra" space at the foot end of the tub, anyway? You would have to have a short wall anyway, since the foot of the tub is unfinished.

Old 03-15-06, 06:51 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks for your reply. I see what you mean about getting a new tub and all it would entail to switch the supply lines. I guess I'll have to do something with shelving to make the closet more useful. You're right- I would need a wall there for the foot of the tub anyway.

I guess I'll settle for a new vanity, sink and countertop. How difficult is it to take up large tiles? There are 12" square beige tiles in there which I'd like to change as well.

Oh and how can we remove the marble-look tub surround? I don't think it is real marble- I think it's a plastic material. It's in 3 pieces around the tub. Can it just be pried off the walls?

Thanks for all your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: