Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Renovating my kitchen - replacing doors and drawers

Old 03-19-06, 10:28 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Finally done with replacing all the floors in 3 rooms (one of them the kitchen). I got lots of help from the flooring board here so now I'm turning to the kitchen board for my next project.

I want to update my kitchen cabinet doors and drawers. I got a quote from a refacing company for $15K to reface the cabinets and replace the doors and drawers. That was a little steep for my budget so now I'm going to do it myself.

The kitchen already has beautiful granite countertops so the scope of the project is to sand and repaint the cabinets and replace the doors and drawers.

Since I've never done this before I have a couple of questions:

1. What companies make kitchen cabinet doors to measurement for a reasonable price? I've checked out the one they offer at Home Depot but I'm wondering what alternatives are out there.

2. The current design has a space between the cabinet doors so you can see the frame in between. Is it possible to order bigger doors and make the doors cover the whole front for a cleaner look? Might sound like a stupid question but I'm wondering how much modification this means in terms of cutting back the existing frame to be able to make the doors cover the whole front.

3. Is it enough to sand down the existing paint and then paint over it? The previous owner did a lousy paint job and some of the cabinets are rather uneven from paint runs and uneven surfaces. Is there a type of levelling product you can apply before painting? I think I've heard of something like that....any recomendations?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-06, 06:48 AM
Renovating my kitchen - replacing doors and

I will be starting the same project in a couple of weeks.

I have a good layout and sound frames. The problem is - they are dark and ugly.

I plan on buying new unfinished doors and drawer front. I will be using thin veneer to cover the face frames and sililar to cover the few ends. You can have the hinges mounted on the doors. There are many sources on the internet and I suppose some cabinet makers might also buy from the door suppliers. You have to accurately measure your openings and they make the doors to fit.

You have a wide range of woods and patterns. - Far more than if you are buying whole cabinets.

I would rather finish new, quality front than refinishing the old, since that is more work and involves trearing things up earlier.

After getting scraps of hardwood and using combinations of stains and finishes, I am going with unstained cherry and polyurethane, although my son-in-law wants to bring in the big toys and spray the doors and fronts.

Dick

Old 03-20-06, 09:09 AM
K
I've ordered online drawer fronts a couple of times. I can't remember the companies, but there are several out there. Pay careful attention to their measuring instructions. Figure out the sizes, and the type of hinges you are going to use. Have the company drill for invisible hinges--much easier unless you have a large drill press. There are multiple types of wood and finishes available, so take your time. Also, many are custom made, so be prepared to wait a bit.

I've also used a local custome cabinetry firm, who did a wonderful job replacing some of the doors in my kitchen. If you have a specific profile in mind, you may not be able to get it on line.

While the veneer looks great, it is a real PITA to put up. If you are planning to paint, I would get a circular sander and sand the door frames w/ the doors off, using progressively finer sandpaper. I sanded mine to bare wood in very little time before repainting.

No idea how you take face frame cabinets to frameless, but I'm sure there is a way.

Old 03-20-06, 11:25 AM
S
Thanks a lot for your input! I was thinking of doing the veneer thing too but I think it's a royal PITA as kimeyers said. I'm afraid I won't get the edges of the cabinets to look nice where two pieces of veneer will meet up....so I'm going with repainting the cabinets themselves.

Anyone out there with experience in going from face frame cabinets to frameless? I'm terrified of ordering a bunch of doors and drawers that won’t fit well when they arrive because I tried to make it a frameless look.

Also, what is the right order of business here? Fix the ktichen walls, texture and repaint before or after I do the cabinet sanding and painting? Feels like the right order is to do the cabinets first?

Old 03-20-06, 07:15 PM
JamesD
Visiting Guest
Refacing to frameless

I recentley had my cabinets refaced and had the sam situation we wanted doors to cover and meet in the center like frameless we paid 13,000 for a great job he just ordered larger doors and looks great

Old 03-21-06, 12:39 PM
L
Originally Posted by Swede_matt
Finally done with replacing all the floors in 3 rooms (one of them the kitchen). I got lots of help from the flooring board here so now I'm turning to the kitchen board for my next project.

I want to update my kitchen cabinet doors and drawers. I got a quote from a refacing company for $15K to reface the cabinets and replace the doors and drawers. That was a little steep for my budget so now I'm going to do it myself.

The kitchen already has beautiful granite countertops so the scope of the project is to sand and repaint the cabinets and replace the doors and drawers.

Since I've never done this before I have a couple of questions:

1. What companies make kitchen cabinet doors to measurement for a reasonable price? I've checked out the one they offer at Home Depot but I'm wondering what alternatives are out there.

2. The current design has a space between the cabinet doors so you can see the frame in between. Is it possible to order bigger doors and make the doors cover the whole front for a cleaner look? Might sound like a stupid question but I'm wondering how much modification this means in terms of cutting back the existing frame to be able to make the doors cover the whole front.

3. Is it enough to sand down the existing paint and then paint over it? The previous owner did a lousy paint job and some of the cabinets are rather uneven from paint runs and uneven surfaces. Is there a type of levelling product you can apply before painting? I think I've heard of something like that....any recomendations?
Just did my 5'X10'X6' U shaped kitchen with new Kraft Maid oak base and wall cabinets for <$5000. That includes new SS sink and Moen faucet, but not counter top. Did the installation myself. Refacing seems more than installing new, but you have to do the installation on new. Installation not difficult. Instructions are on the DYI web site.

Old 03-21-06, 10:01 PM
S
The reason I'm going with the refacing alternative is that the previous owner installed beautiful granite counter tops and I don't want to risk breaking these if I rip out the cabinets themselves. If it wasn't for the counter tops I would just rip it all out and start fresh.....would be much easier.

I just had Sears over to give me a qoute as well and that was $9K so now it's DIY for sure. I measure up the doors, drawers and drawer boxes already and the cost to order it from Home Depot is about $1500. So all in all for material DIY and some help from a carpenter it shouldn't cost more than $3K.

The only thing that worries me is to do all the measuring myself and ordering based on my measurements. I'm European and it don't do very well with these weird inches and fractions. =)

Old 03-22-06, 07:18 AM

Matt -

Take your measurements any way you are comfortable with. You can always convert to inches and fractions - there are mini computer programs/services. You could also have the carpenter you plan to use do the measuring in the old style feet and inches. The measurements are critical.

You may be surprised at how metrics are accepted in "the colonies" since most people have learned it is just a different yardstick (meterstick?) that is easier to work with and much less chance of error like you get with fractions.

From another Swede-

Dick