Do You Know What's Wrong With My Tolit?

Old 03-25-06, 10:15 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Do You Know What's Wrong With My Tolit?

Hello!

I'm trying to find out what's wrong with my tolit. Every now & then it will just start filling up as if you had just flushed it but doesn't run as long. It's also going down very slow.
I'm sorry I can't be more specific but I don't know all the terms & names for these things. I kinda remember my brother saying something about a flange. Does that sound right?
Thanks!
NiNa

Removed advertising address. Not permitted in the Forum pages.

Last edited by majakdragon; 03-25-06 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-25-06, 10:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Nina: Welcome to the forums. What is probably happening is the flapper is just plain worn out or decomposing. Take the cover off the back of the toilet. Don't worry, it is clean water, with the exception of the Tidy Bowl, or other things people throw in there. Look at the chain from the actuator lever to the flapper. There should be a little slack. If not, the chain is holding the flapper and allowing water to seep past it. If there is slack, flush the toilet and note the flapper. If it is black, place your hand under it and see if it rubs off. If so, you will need to replace the flapper. Not rocket science, so just go to the hardware and purchase a flapper unit. Note how yours is attached. Turn the water off to the toilet, flush it and remove the old flapper. Install the new flapper placing the ears of the flapper over the tangs of the overflow tube. Attach the chain to the actuator lever, leaving a little slack, and that should solve your problem. Post back after you try that, and let's see if we can help further. Good luck.

Old 03-26-06, 03:49 AM
S
Hi Larry!
Thanks so much, you know a lot about this! I don't know how or where I'd turn the water off to the tolit. (Stop laughing) I think I'd better call a plumber. I'm not real good at these types of repairs. I do appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post! Now that I know what's wrong (thanks to you) I won't get taken for a ride.
NiNa

Old 03-27-06, 07:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
NiNa: look just below the left side of the toilet facing it, and you will see a cut off valve. Turn it to the right until it seats. The water is off. Don't call a plumber for this fix. You can do it!! Post back when you find the valve and lets get this thing fixed.

Old 03-28-06, 06:07 AM
S
Fixing my tolit

Hi Larry!
I've got the water shut off. Now what do I need to buy to fix this?
Thanks!
NiNa

Old 03-28-06, 06:13 AM
W
You need a flapper valve. Its the thing in the bottom of the tank that raises up when you push the flush lever. Look at the one that's in there and get the same kind from Home Depot, Lowes, or any hardware store. It will come with instructiuons, its a very simple fix, just a matter of popping in a couple of little ear things and attaching a chain to the flash lever. The chain needs to be adjusted so the flapper raises up when you push handle but can still fall back into place.

Old 03-28-06, 06:33 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I have included a link with pictures. Look at the first one and the 3rd one. The first one is a dual install type. It has a hole for toilets that the flapper slides down over the overflow tube. The rubber "circle" can be removed if yours attaches with just "ears" as shown in the 3rd one. Take your old one with you so you get the same type. They have gotten fancy with designs now. Some have a cup on the top of the flapper to help close it when the flush is completed, some have a piece of foam rubber on the chain so it doesn't hang up on anything. Just get what you had before.
If your current one slides down the overflow tube, just slide it up and off after disconnecting the chain. If it has ears, there are hooks on the overflow tube that they hook onto. Just pull them outwards and remove. Good luck.

http://doityourself.com/shop/assortedbrands.htm

Old 03-28-06, 09:51 AM
S
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wreckwriter
You need a flapper valve. Its the thing in the bottom of the tank that raises up when you push the flush lever. Look at the one that's in there and get the same kind from Home Depot, Lowes, or any hardware store. It will come with instructiuons, its a very simple fix, just a matter of popping in a couple of little ear things and attaching a chain to the flash lever. The chain needs to be adjusted so the flapper raises up when you push handle but can still fall back into place.

Ok thanks Larry! I'll let to know when it's done.
NiNa

Old 04-09-06, 08:01 AM
S
Hi Larry!
Sorry I've been away so long. I purchased a new computer & lost all of my favorite forums. I've been tyring to figure this new computer out & find my forums.
You'll be happy to know that I fixed my tolit. I wouldn't have been able to do it without your help! Again thank you!

See you at the top
NiNa

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: