Purchasing new toilet?

Old 03-28-06, 07:27 AM
DaveTV
Visiting Guest
Purchasing new toilet?

Hi all - I would like to replace my toilet, as the lower part of the bowl is deteriorating and looks grungy. I was looking at them at HomeDepot, and they sell "Complete" units, as well as purchasing the tank+bowl separately. It seems like cost-wise, it is better to purchase them separate. The complete ones claim to have all the necessary hardware, seat etc - Q: If I purchase the tank&bowl individually, what else do I need to have on hand besides the wax ring? Do I need to purchase the internal float assembly, flush handle, mounting bolts/gaskets etc..? Any advice appreciated - Thanks!

Old 03-28-06, 07:59 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you purchase the tank, it should have the flush mechanism (including handle) , gasket and bolts for mounting. If you purchase the bowl, it MAY have the closet bolts included. Wax seals are usually sold seperately but I have seen the "complete" toilets that have them included. I bought an American Standard Cadet (just under $100) and it had everything except the wax seal. When I bought the seal, it included the closet bolts also. You have to read the container to see what you are getting. One thing I liked about the AS cadet was it came with a Fluidmaster 400A flush valve. You will see that valve recommended here most of the time. Good luck.

Old 03-28-06, 08:07 AM
DaveTV
Visiting Guest
Thanks - so what would be the advantage of purchasing the "complete" unit rather than the bowl&tank separate? The complete was more $$ than the sum of the separate units.. If all I need is the wax ring and seat, I can do that separately..

Old 03-28-06, 08:36 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Not sure. When I bought mine (8 months ago) HD was not selling the components seperately. Everything they had was sets. May have just been MY HD. Had been to Lowes but they were too busy to help me find the unit I wanted. Had it on display but not under the shelf. If you can get it seperately at a lower cost, go for it. I would have if I could have.

P.S. Open and check the boxes before you leave the store. These things get thrown around so you want to know before you leave that it is not broken and has all the internal parts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: