Shower/tub removal, whirlpool install

Old 04-13-06, 09:05 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shower/tub removal, whirlpool install

I want to replace my existing one-piece shower/tub with a whirlpool tub of the same size (and I will tile up the walls for the shower). Am I kidding myself that someone with little to no experience can accomplish this? I have never doen this kind of work before, but where all the existing pipes are in place, is there a lit more to it than breaking down the old unit and sliding int he new tub and hooking it up to the pipes?

Any advice is appreciated.

Old 04-14-06, 04:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Well, in an ideal world that is all you would have to do. But most likely the supply lines won't be in the proper place; the drain will be out of center by a few inches, and all your walls will have to be resurfaced with tile backer board. Now, if you are willing to modify the plumbing to fit your new tub, then you are half way there, although it takes some knowledge of pipe fitting/soldering/etc.

I have comments from customers all the time stating that their whirlpool is never hot enough. Bear in mind, you will be putting in about 50 gallons of water from a 40 gallon water heater. When it's gone, it's gone. Think about a heater accessory when you purchase your tub

Make sure, also your whirlpool will slide in the slot while lying flat on the floor, as you won't be able to tilt it in if you leave your supply lines in place.

Post back if we can help further.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: