Change tub/shower color? Cracked toilet flange?

Old 04-20-06, 05:57 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Change tub/shower color? Cracked toilet flange?

OK, I'm doing a light renovation on our upstairs bathroom. Our townhouse was built in '86' and the tub, toilet, sink and vanity or all brown/beige-ish color - which my wife-to-be hates (so do I frankly). I have gutted everything but the fiberglass tub and plan to install ceramic tile floor (was vinyl), white toilet, white vanity and sink.

See my problem yet? The tub is brown/beige. I have heard of "coatings" you can put over the fiberglass tub/shower but have also heard they bubble and peal, etc. Any thoughts? Currently I'm rethinking the white vanity and maybe going with a light colored wood with a white sink to match the toilet and then putting a light colored wood paneling (cape code I think it's called) on the walls and hoping this will bring together the white with the brown/beige tub.

Also, The toilet flange is cracked - do I need to replace this? I assume so but am not quite sure how to go about it. It looks like it is nailed to the floor...

Any thoughts, suggestions, even prayers would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-20-06, 06:51 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Trying to DIY a tub/shower resurface is a lot of work and members here are 90% unhappy with the results. You would probably be happier if you coordinate the new fixtures with the old shower.
As for the toilet flange. They sell what is called a Supre ring or Super flange that goes on top of the broken flange. You have to remove the screws/nails that are holding the current flange down and install new screws through the repair flange and the old flange. Good luck.

Old 04-20-06, 07:18 AM
E
I should have specified, I don't plan on refinishing/reglazing the tub/shower myself - I would hire a "proffesional" to do it. Does this change your opion? Also, what about a "liner"?

Old 04-20-06, 09:39 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I think professionally having the tub redone will be fine.

Maybe a really nice, simple shower curtain will do? Unless your wife-to-be doesn't like that either. I hate those fiberglass shower/tubs and the brown/beige-ish color of 'em too. Why couldn't they at least install white ones!

Will say a prayer for you too!

Old 04-20-06, 11:37 AM
E
Thanks for your input. We currently have a shower curtain up that hides the majority of the shower/tub but I still know it's there and it bugs me. Well it bugs her more which in turn...

Plus I think when I install the white toilet and vanity not to mention the off white/eggshell tiles it will stick out like soar thumb.

I would like to hear other peoples opinions and experiences with tub Reglazing/Refinishing especially on the old standard fiberglass tub/shower combo's - not that I don't trust you DIYADDICT, just looking for some more input before I make some calls and potentially shell out $250-$500.

Also, from the top of the shower wall to the ceiling is tile (again beige) - should I replace those with tile of my choice or have them reglazed/refinished at the same time. It's a small area (I guess 10-15 square feet) and I'm comfortable with the tiling process (although I haven't done it on a wall yet) but if I get someone in to do the tub why not have just do that entire end of the bathroom right? Maybe? I don't know...

Old 04-21-06, 01:11 PM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Emies...I looked for some other posts for you since I noticed no one has responded since... I hope this helps...

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=251897

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: