granite countertop

Old 04-21-06, 12:13 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
granite countertop

I am looking at having a granite countertop installed. I have seen both slab and pre-fab work with pre-fab being less costly. Here is my question. what is the max seam width I sholuld expect with pre-fab vs. custom slab granite. I have seen a noticable difference in the width of seams with custom being the smaller seam.

Jim

Old 04-21-06, 03:40 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Can you define slab and pre fab? I have granite counter tops with 2 seams. The joints are less than 1/16", epoxy bonded and barely noticeable.

Old 04-21-06, 09:09 PM
S
Just out of curiosity, given that the perception of pre-fab, is a stock Item of predetermined or undetermined length and width.
If it is it your intention to have one or more of these "custom" cut to length, then measure correctly and you will have a standard seam joint.

Old 05-08-06, 08:30 AM
C
slab vs pre-fab

slabs are big pices of stone 2/3mm thick and are about 55 sq ft. Pre-fab is a granite stone 25 inch wide and 96 to 120 inches in length with a edge treatment all ready on. Normally 1 1/2 in full radius. Most of the pre-fab's I have seen come from China, but the stone is from Finland (Baltic Brown)

What is a standard joint width, I have seen 1/32 to 1/8 of an inch. depending on installer. Some good and some real bad

Old 05-08-06, 10:44 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
CDRJIM - Most of the granite slabs around here are a lot bigger. We picked our granite at a warehouse filled with hundreds of slabs that were probably 8' X 12'. I have a peninsula that has a single slab 10' long by 4' wide. As I said earlier my seams are about 1/16" and color matched so well that they are barely visible. The installer worked the joints for a couple of housrs to get them perfectly aligned.
The granite we looked at (a lot) came from all over the world. Most from India and Brazil with some really neat stuff from Africa.
Was the 2/3 mm you cited as prefab thickness a typo? I haven't seen prefab granite countertops. Is it just a thin granite laminate on a thicker substrate. If so that sounds like an affordable alternative to the thicker slab.

Old 05-12-06, 09:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Out of curiousity...does anyone ever try to pulverize same granite and mix it in with the epoxy?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: