Galvanised tub needs sealing

Old 05-07-06, 06:07 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool Galvanised tub needs sealing

Hi I bought an old galvanised round tub that is going to be a substitute bath for my small flat. Now I need to seal up some cracks or very thin/short breaks in the bottom. I think 3. I am new to this site so I am not sure I have posted this in the right section. Ideally I would get my welder friend to do something but he is not available and winter is here in Australia. I was thinking of that sealer that is used around tiles? I can provide pics if this site allows. Thanks Carla

Old 05-07-06, 07:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Carla: You could use something like JBWeld on the cracks or even an item in the automotive industry for gas tank repairs. Look at your local auto parts store for this one. In fact, welding the galvanized tub may deteriorate the welded area and cause rust, whereas the chemical sealants won't. Good luck with it!

Old 05-07-06, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Hello Carla,

The proper way to repair your tub is with solder.
A temporary fix might be with something like clear silicone that will remain flexible when you get in and out.

There is a downside to silicone. If the solder or crimp joint that seals the sides is weak it might leak in another spot.
To help with this you might run a continuous bead around all the joints.
Another problem is that if you hope to have it soldered later, the silicone might make this more difficult.

Old 05-07-06, 10:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
If you do use a heat method, be sure to seal the affected area with something like polyurethane on the underside. You will never see the bottom of the tub again, but if the galvanization was compromised, it could rust through at that point.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: