Cost to install new bathtub and shower?

Old 05-11-06, 02:31 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cost to install new bathtub and shower?

I am very sorry if this is an annoying question, but I have a purpose for it.

I am currently in the process of

- tearing out on old cast iron bathtub and surround wall.
- tearing down greenboard etc.
- replacing the tub with a 2 piece fiberglass unit which required me to remove the door jambs to get it in the room.
- installing a mixing valve in place of an old 2 knob
- installing shutoff valves on risers whereas they were never installed before.
-finishing walls and painting them.

I am beat and losing my inspiration fast - breaking up the cast iron killed me last night. I really wanna refuel my efforts here.

I am sure that If I had a good idea of how much money I was saving myself it would inspire me to pick myself up again and go to work. Does anyone have a good idea as to what such a thing would cost to have done professionally?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-06, 04:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Bathroom remodels run second only to kitchen remodels. Think of it not only in the money you saved in doing it yourself, but in the return you will get should you ever decide to sell the house.
A total bathroom remodel, here in the south, can run close to $7k-$10k, depending on if you tile the floors, how you handle the wall covering (tile, wallpaper, paint, etc.), what type fixtures you choose, and if you are replacing the vanity, are you going to use formica, granite, etc. All this comes into play, so it is very difficult to give an estimate, not knowing your location, and how much of the other stuff you plan to do.
In any event, by doing it yourself, you are saving money, losing your hair, and can be proud in the end.

Old 09-23-06, 06:08 PM
Question Estimate on bath remodel

It all started with a new vinyl floor, and that was it. The folks who built this place put the vinyl in a very strange way, so now the tile might need to come off...and since we have baseboard heat that needs to come off. I bet I could break up the tub if it could save me some cash, but I am stumped when it comes to electricity and plumbing...since this started with a leak I am "once burnt, twice shy".

Also, is there anything wrong with the inexpensive vanities? I don't want to spend big bucks on one. at that rate I might get a pedistal sink.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Please and thanks!! Oh yeah, $$ IS an object. A pretty big object!

Old 09-30-06, 07:30 PM
N
I got estimates...

I wasn't sure at the beginning I was ready to tackle this sort of job. So I called two plumbers and three tile guys for estimates.
Of course I started with our dream bathroom and cut back on things as I spoke with the pros.
To refit plumbing for a new fixture, instal PRV due to high water pressure and and replumb part of my two gas lines to add some sort of drip thing was about $1500. To move my shower drain in a slab foundation house jumped to $2500...just for the plumber!
The tile guys wanted $2500-3500 for 5x8 bathroom floor and floor to cieling shower tile. Figure $12-13/sq. ft. as a good starting point for tile.
Nobody would touch any demo work, nor the framing out of the shower curb, nor float a shower pan for less then $500. You see how it can skyrocket.
For $5k before ever buying any hard materials or fixtures, shower door, etc...I decided to do it myself.
Have a Grandfather that knows construction and plumbing. He helped there. A neighbor will look over my electrical work before I flip the switch. The rest...I've tried to teach myself along the way.
It's a ton of steps, and even more things to remember as you go. But the thing I tell myself is that nothing here is rocket science. Nothing a little common sense and knowing where to find the answers can't fix.
Besides, doing it yourself doesn't hurt so bad when you have to rip something apart because you screwed up.

Old 10-02-06, 05:04 AM
Bathrooms in Chicago run 10-15k and that is not with top-of-the line equipment (but it's nice stuff).

I did a complete gut and build up for around 3.5k.

We left the tub and had it reglazed and did not move any plumbing.

All tile and drywall removed.
light/fan installed
new drywall everywhere
new vanity / medicine cab / granite counter
new toilet
all new plumbing fixtures
tiled tub surround
tiled floor
stained trim to match vanity
New door
New light fixtures (and OF COURSE I had an electrician do the electrical)