Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Here is a simple question, chalk line or laser level

Old 05-12-06, 06:14 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

very simple, I'll be tiling a bathroom floor and I'm going to buy either a chalk line or a laser level. Which is best?

Old 05-12-06, 06:42 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you will have use in the future for the laser, buy it. Check the amount of deflection (how far off) in a certain distance. I have read the small print on some and it is up to 1/2" in 30 feet. Most bathrooms are small so you may be getting in the lasers way which will make it difficult to see. I like a chalk line mark sprayed with hairspray (keeps it from smudging). Good luck.

Old 05-12-06, 08:57 AM
W
Received 26 Upvotes on 21 Posts
MJD - I agree about the laser level. I have two that were given to me as gifts. Both are relatively inexpensive and less accurate than either a spirit level or a chalk line. I think it's hard to find an accurate laser for less than $100. I also find it a lot quicker to use a chalk line.

BTW - Can you elaborate on the chalk line trick?

Old 05-12-06, 12:36 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Try the "ink line" instead of the chalk line. No need for the hair spray.

http://www.acetool.com/catalog/Tajim...king-tools.htm

Old 05-12-06, 06:56 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wayne,
I spray the wifes hairspray on the chalk I snapped. It seals it so you don't inadvertently "erase" it with a foot or knee. Kinda like using a clear poly but dries quicker.

Old 05-15-06, 07:15 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm doing my first tile-job right now, and so far I've found that it's easier to mess with lasers than it is to chalk lines. However, you're doing the floor, so I'm not sure what use a laser level will be to you. For floors, all you need is a straight guide-line, right? That's the great thing about lasers, even a cheap laser will project a perfectly straight line (unless the "beam-splitter" is so cheap that the line widens to a quarter of an inch after a few feet...).

I'm using one of those black&decker bullseye auto-leveling lasers... and it's worked great so far. Since bathrooms are usually small, you don't really have to worry about how accurate a laser level is... 'cause you're just working with the first few feet most of the time.

The best part about a laser is that you can't rub it off, or cover it up with grout/adhesive/cement. The laser will just be projecting a line on top of whatever you just put down.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: