Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Have huge gaps in cabinets after replacing stove:(

Old 05-27-06, 03:35 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I recently installed a new stove. The old stove was much wider than the new one. I now have gaps on each side of the new stove. There are no standard size cabinets that can be placed on either side of the stove, nor can I match the old cabinets. I'm trying to ready the house for sale and do not want to have to renovate the kitchen first. Does anyone have any quick fix ideas?

Old 05-27-06, 03:57 PM
L
How big are the gaps? I have seen filler strips, for each side, in colors and maybe stainless.

I believe any gap over a total of 1" (1/2" each side) would be a problem.

Old 05-27-06, 04:47 PM
R
The problem is that one side is 6 inches and the other side has 3 inches.

Old 05-27-06, 04:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Filling the gaps at the cabinet fronts is easy. But don't you also now have a big opening in the countertop on both sides? What about THAT issue?

Old 05-27-06, 05:28 PM
R
Just decided---We are going to shift the stove to the end right wall (taking up the 6 inches on that side). The countertop and remaining cabinets will all now be to the stove's left. We will replace the countertop and have the new one extend to the new stove. Now, we've got nine inches between end of bottom cabinets and start of stove. We are not concerned with upper cabinets, as we will be adding shelves and microwave/vent where old giant hood was.

Old 05-27-06, 06:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How much counter/cabinets were to the right of the original stove...out of curiousity?

Just so you know, it is not common practice to put stoves in the corner because it is more likely for the wall to get real hot and spatter food onto two walls (above the back of the stove, and now to your right.) MY house has it in the corner, as it was also remodeled that way (not by me.). I never use the big burner on the right side out of fear of falling asleep on the couch while making stuff and having a stovetop fire next to the wall.

Old 05-27-06, 07:20 PM
R
approx six inches. You raise some very good points. Thanks

Old 06-01-06, 04:42 AM
C
in moving the stove to 1 side how does that affect the upper cabinets, hood ect. if you have anything above the stove you could be in a code voliation. you must maintain a certain distance from the stove top to a cabinet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: