new kitchen sink is BIG

Old 05-30-06, 10:15 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
new kitchen sink is BIG

I bought a new double bowl sink from Lowe's. It's measurement is 33 (long) X 23 (width) X 10 (depth). I cut a big hole in my laminate countertop and top-mounted the sink, though I haven't sealed the edges yet. It looks great from the top, but I immediately noticed a future problem if I ever need to replace the faucet or fix a leak. I replaced a faucet from my old sink before so I know how difficult it is.

You see, after putting the sink on my 25" wide countertop with faucet already installed, there is just a very small area left underneath the sink between the bowls and the wall. There is not much room to insert any tools to loosen the faucet underneath if I ever want to. I know there is a special angled plummber wrench, but even that is a challenge.

The only way to fix anything in the future, I am afraid, is the remove the sink from the top to do it.

What is your experience with these BIG sinks now sold in Lowe's and Home Depot? How do you prepare yourself for the future headaches? What sort of seal to use so it will be water tight, but not too hard to pry open?

Old 05-31-06, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It tight situations like this a plumber will use a "basin wrench". They are not very expensive. Here is what you are looking for:

http://www.doityourself.com/invt/9911462

Old 05-31-06, 05:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
If it is metal, you could bed it with plumber's putty and bead around the perimeter with clear silicone, so when and if you need to remove it, all you will have to do is cut the bead and lift it out. Now, if it is porcelain/steel, heck it ain't gonna budge anyway, so beading with silicone to prevent water infiltration should be enough to allow future removal. The main thing is sealing against infiltration of water.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: