is there such a thing as a thin shower valve?

Old 06-09-06, 11:08 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
is there such a thing as a thin shower valve?

we are building a custom shower and we built a big niche around the shower head/valve, the recessed part will have a different tile patern.

now this was a last minute addition, so we basicly opened the wall, and framed in the opening in there. so the niche is not very deep, 2x4 deep.

the plan is to close it in, with the water pipes behind it, they are about 3/4 thick. they are the flexible plastic pipes. i guess you can add the thichness of the ciment board and slate.

with the limited space, is it even possible to have the correct plumbinb back there? we want a temperature control valve and i know all those are way too big too fit. i saw somewhere one for a tub that seemed to be all exterior, and nice and chromed, but i cant find one for a shower.

any ideas? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-09-06, 07:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
A standard shower valve will fit into a standard 2x4 wall, although a 2x6 plumbing wall would be preferred. It should be supported in the back, so check the clearance using the plaster ring supplied with the unit to determine the placement in conjunction with your finished wall. You may find that installing a 2x6 sideways at the back of the 2x4 wall will place it pretty close and give you a place to screw it in for support. Post back if there is something I am missing.

Old 06-10-06, 09:31 AM
T
maybe a picture will help.

http://klearz.com/house/shower.jpg

Old 06-10-06, 02:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You're pushing the envelope, but I believe you may get it to work. Hold the control valve to one edge of the opening and see where the plaster ring lands in relation to the surface of the tile. You will have a little "play" room, but my main concern is what will you attach it to. What is on the other side of the sheetrock wall behind the alcove? A closet?

Old 06-13-06, 09:35 AM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
TB

Im somewhat confused looking at your niche. What are you going to attach the cement board to?

When building a custom niche you need to make it waterproof. This in generally done by framing the niche with 2 x4's, covering the sides and back with cement board, taping and mudding the joints, then covering the entire niche area with two or three coats of redgard (or something like it). The redgard needs to extend out about 6" onto the walls outside the niche. You will have to remove the tiles around the niche to do all this. This keeps the water that makes its way through the tile and grout from making its way to the framing lumber and who knows what else. Keep in mind that your tile and grout and caulk will not make that niche waterproof. If its not done this way you will have water problems in no time at all.

Old 06-13-06, 10:14 AM
T
i have 2 little niches in another area of the shower which i did like you descibed. but the tiling isnt done around that area yet. so i guess i will have a few tiles to remove around this bigger niche, we skiped a step there.

for the smaller niches we just kinda wedged the cement board flush to the drywall on the other side. and then put in the side peices afterwards which really hold it in. plus all seams covered with thinset and tape, its very solid.

i was thinking of doing somthing similar with the niche with the shower head, but adding some wood support behind in a few areas. something the same thickness as the water pipes and like 6 inch wide. im not sure if this is gonna work at all the way we wanted to do it.

behind that drywall is nothing. my bedroomw wall.

in what areas do i need to use caulking instead of grout?

Old 06-13-06, 11:09 AM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Caulk all changes of plane.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: