replacing cabinets- painted vs. stained resale

Old 06-12-06, 11:14 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
replacing cabinets- painted vs. stained resale

That pretty much says it. My wife and I are having our kitchen remodeled this summer and are changing the layout and replacing the cabinets. My wife really likes the painted cabinet look, but I am curious as to whether we will lose out on getting as much of a return on what we put in our kitchen if the cabinets are painted as opposed to stained wood such as maple.

Old 06-12-06, 02:08 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You will likely get a 50/50 response to this question. Some things to consider are the style of the home, the size of the kitchen, amount of natural light, woodwork and furniture finish, and a theme or what you are trying to accomplish in the kitchen. For example, rustic woods and finishes tend to be popular in country and rustic homes, and cherry is often considered to be more traditional and never seems to be outdated. Depending upon door profile selected, there are glazes available to highlight intricate millwork. Glazes over stains are a popular trend. If you like the look of antiques, this can be accomplished with distressing and glazing. Warmer stains and finishes can make for a warmer feel in a room. If you like the Mission look, oak with dark corner pegs are an option. Some mix it up with stained cabinets and painted cabinets to set off hutch like units or to set off trim and molding. For a French country look, you might want a crackle finish. For a very modern commercial look, stainless cabinetry is an option. In other words, selection tends to be based on what you are trying to achieve--country, modern, traditional, etc. An up-to-date kitchen will be a big plus when it comes time to sell.

Old 06-12-06, 02:27 PM
W
Received 33 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Cabinet color selection is way too subjective to recommend a particular type of finish. As twelvepole posted there are a lot of factors and choices involved.

I suggest selecting a cabinet finish that pleases you and buy the very best cabinets that your budget will allow.

Old 06-12-06, 03:04 PM
B
are you talking about painting or staining these yourself? Are you having them built as opposed to premade? Cost is a huge consideration here. I would need to know more before I could say more.

Old 06-12-06, 04:54 PM
O
We are considering both custom built cabinets and stock cabinetry from a local kitchen designer.

Old 06-14-06, 11:19 AM
K
As a homeowner, and homebuyer, it completely depends on your budget. If your on a beer budget, painted cabinets will probably buy you the best bang for your buck. However, stained high-grade wood will always wow me. Of course, when the remodeling bids come in at over 80K, I am always willing to compromise--I painted stained birch, but the costs savings allowed me to install roll out drawers in every cabinet, get full extension drawers and have some high end custom add ons (refridge cabinet, corner cabinet, television nook, etc.). While an earlier post says "maple" is a traditionaly wood, I think if you look back `10-15 years ago, it was rare to see maple. Wood choices and cabinet styles are either trendy or traditional. As to their effect on resale--I think it depends on who is looking. I look at every house as a tear down, whereas my husband looks at it as a "can I move in now". Depends on which one of us is making the decision.

Old 06-18-06, 06:11 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Whether custom or pre-manufactured, many of the painted finishes and glazes are considered special finishes and often cost more than the natural or stained with finish. The only way to know what is in your budget is to stop by some kitchen dealers for a design and a look at their cabinet finishes and door styles. "True" custom cabinets tend to cost much more than pre-manufactured cabinets. There are cabinet builders who build the cabinet boxes and order the doors and call them custom.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: