installing shower in an older bathroom!

Old 06-13-06, 11:07 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
installing shower in an older bathroom!

I am installing a shower in an older bathroom where there has only been a tub until now. There is a half wall between the tub and the sink. I will have to build the wall upwards to so to attatch the surround. The existing tub in is wonderful condition, so should I just put in a surround, or a one piece tub and surround? What tould be better?

Old 06-13-06, 12:32 PM
B
If the tub is in good shape I see no reason to buy a new one. Be cheaper and easier to just put in a surround assuming it is square at the edges and not rounded like a claw foot

Old 06-13-06, 03:42 PM
L
resale

will it hurt my resale value to just put surround in?

Old 06-13-06, 03:47 PM
B
if the tub is in good shape as you say I would say no not in the least but as often is the case in these forums, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Old 06-15-06, 06:51 AM
J
I agree that it will not hurt your resale value to simply put in a surround. I will however say this on one condition. Choose your surround carefully and install it well. To give you an idea I recently was at open house where the only bathroom had a refinished tub - very nicely done. However, there was a terrible surround installed. It didn't match up whatesoever and was cheap and flimsy...Another couple at the open house was horrified at it. I didn't really think about it too much because I hated the rest of the house...

Old 06-16-06, 09:12 AM
L
more work

This is actually a remodel for my babysitter. Ok, here is the work we have planned out. The tub will stay, too much work to replace something that is fine. The tub is on the left and the vanity sink on the right. There is a half wall between them, it looks really thin like 3 1/2", so I am thinking I will have to rip that out and frame a new one. She does not want it to go all the way to the ceiling, any ideas? Then I am demo'ing the vanity, counter and sink. Replacing them with updated materials. All the wals are plastic tile, which she likes might I add, so I will scuff with corse grit paper behind the future surround. It currently has carpet in there, I think she wants to get rid of it and tile the floors. Am I missing anything, or do you have any secrets to make my life easier. Any help is appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: