Refinishing tubs and sinks

Old 06-19-06, 12:11 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Refinishing tubs and sinks

Has anyone refinished their own tub or pedestal sinks? I plan to use some old Kohler sinks in my new house but I want to make sure a do it yourself kit out there actually works - I'm afraid it would not be shiny enough, or would need to be cleaned more often than if I had it professional done. If anyone has done this themselves and could recommend a kit that actually works it would be much appreciated!

Old 06-19-06, 07:28 PM
lynnec,

Awhile back a member posted this - this is usually the outcome of DIY kits.

"Here’s a short story about do-it-yourself reglazing. . Think about this process before doing it.

“Once before I attempted to refinish a bathtub. I bought an extremely good "epoxy" paint (2 parts, had to mix before applying). I cleaned the tub by the instructions, roughed up the surface and then used a "tack cloth (sticky cloth)" to get rid of any dust particles prior to applying the paint. I then applied the paint (brush) and let is sit for 5 days prior to using it.

I will tell you that the job looked nice. Other than a few brush marks, and the fact that it had no shine, I was satisfied, and it sure looked better than the original tub. All was fine and dandy until my daughter was born. As a baby, we would bath her in the tub with one of these special devices which held to the bottom of the tub with "suction cups". Needless to say, the suction cups pulled all my hard work off the original tub surface -(."

It isn't worth the effort if you are looking for a good job. Sinks don't cost that much and if you are looking to do this cheap, expect it to be that way in appearance. It will not last that long, so think twice about what you want to do.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-24-06, 03:52 PM
L
Refinishing tub and sink

Thanks Doug, I suspected this. If anyone has a sucess story I would be happy to hear it. If I don't hear from anyone else I'll probably send my sinks out to be done professionally. Thanks again, Lynne

Old 06-24-06, 06:26 PM
The process that is factory installed on tubs and sinks cannot be reproduced by an individual. We have had a few posts from people who tried and they all say the work of prepping versus the results, just isn't worth it. The pros have better equipment, experience and materials than you can buy. Best of luck whatever way you go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: