preparing concrete wall for bathroom

Old 06-19-06, 02:42 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question preparing concrete wall for bathroom

Looking for advice on how to prep my outer basement foundation wall for installation of a shower. Here are the details: I have a foundation wall with a window in the middle. I want to install a full tub and shower (which would end up covering the window). My first question is what to do with the window? Take it out? If so, what should I fill it in with? Bricks? Or...leave it in? If so, fill it with insulation? Once I do that, I know I will need to frame and insulate the wall for sheetrock (I may do backerboard for tile). Before I do that, I have a few cracks in my foundation. I know I need to fill them, but how? Suggestions? Will tile be ok against a cracking foundation wall? Any suggestions appreciated. Or email me at bigbrad123@hotmail.com. Thanks.

Old 06-19-06, 03:31 PM
D
your wall dilema

Given the crack in your foundation is probably due to either settling of the foundation, or the moisture evaporating from the concrete to fast...the crack is probably not going to get any bigger.... but in case it does, there's a mat specifically for cracks in concrete, and you cement in on before tiling....Another question is are you going to use a mastic glue or a thinset mud..If you use mud, you could use a liquid acrylic that you can get from a flooring store, and with a 50/50 acrylic and water mix. It'd cure up pretty hard...But be careful i think the working time, is a bit less with acrylic..So don't mud out the whole wall, or you may end up with a fancy design but no tile.. I'm currently a copncrete man, but i used to set tiles, so if i can be of anymore help, just ask!!

Old 06-19-06, 07:27 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
preparing concrete wall for bathroom

One option for the window is to use glass blocks to give you light and still maintain provacy. You can lay individual blocks or you can buy pre-fan panels that you set in place.

Take a long hard look at the cracks to determine if the they are active or inactive and the direction of the cracks.

Vertical cracks in a poured foundation are very common due to the wet conrete used and the placement practices and are vertical, usually near the center of the wall or at the quarter points for a long wall.

Horizontal cracks are always should be looked at by a professional, since they frequebtly are structural.

Dick

Old 06-20-06, 11:17 AM
B
Thanks concretemasory. If you use glass blocks, will you still need to take the window out? Would you put them in after you sheetrock the wall? Never used glass blocks before.

As for the cracks in the wall......most of them are horizontal/diagonal. One of them has already been filled, but there is another smaller one on the right side of the wall. Our foundation wall has needed to be braced already toward the other side of the house, so it is most likely structural issues.

Dan hobal, I guess I don't know what I will use for the cracks. Never filled them before, so I don't know what is best. I want to use whatever holds up best and whatever will minimize any further cracking while keeping out any moisture. Anymore suggestions?

Thanks guys.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: