Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

best place to put toilet paper roll/hanger thingy???

Old 06-27-06, 01:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

lol

there are two places to place it, either on the wall to the right side of toilet or the vanity on the left side.

which is better?

previously it was on the right side. what do the "experts say" is more appealing and what do you all (experts or not) think is the best place.

any advice info is appreciated.

thanks,
DIYLiz

Old 06-27-06, 01:50 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The majority of people are right handed.

Old 06-27-06, 02:35 PM
i don't think there's a standard practice for this.

since it's pretty much equally easy to use on either side, i like to decide from a decorating point of view:

i like to put it where it won't be seen when you're standing in the doorway, looking into the bathroom. so if it would be hidden behind the side of the vanity, put it there. and vice versa.

however, if we're talking about a little "potty room" within a larger bathroom, and it will be seen equally no matter which side it's on, and it's tight quarters, i think it's easier for a right-handed person to have it on the left side & reach across to pull off the tissue.

Old 06-27-06, 03:02 PM
There we have the difference between a Plumber and a designer. I WANT to see it before I go all the way in and find that it is out. Sorry, I think that everyone uses it so it is no big deal that it is seen. People used to keep their pots and pans in the cupboard and now they hang them up in the center of the kitchen. Just an opinion.

Old 06-27-06, 05:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Most of all, put it in reach of the toilet, right or left, no big deal.

Old 06-30-06, 09:52 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Also, wherever you decide, also make sure it wouldn't be an awkward reach. I know that sounds funny but since it's MY house and MY toilet and MY toilet paper...I want it to accompany to ME. I've found other people's toilet paper hard to reach or in weird locations. IMO... I don't like seeing the toilet paper when I first walk into my bathroom. Heck, I still shove my pots and pans in my cupboards.

Old 06-30-06, 05:25 PM
I made my mother a flat stand base approx 12 x 12" with a broomstick fitted into a hole in the middle of the base. Heck, she can store 8 rolls of paper neatly in the corner with a roll always available. A bit much for me, though. She loves it.

Old 07-03-06, 12:50 PM
W
Received 36 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I vote for accessibility over appearance. I don't care if it's left or right, most people have some use of both hands. I just want to be able to reach it. That means close enough and definitely not behind me.

Now a much more important question. Do you install the paper to roll from the top or off the bottom?

Old 07-03-06, 12:58 PM
Since I'm right handed I want the paper roll on the left and the paper must roll off the top.

Old 07-03-06, 01:02 PM
D
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell
Now a much more important question. Do you install the paper to roll from the top or off the bottom?
Really? I always thought the "correct" way is from the top.

Old 07-03-06, 03:36 PM
Not if you have an over active and creative cat. She can unroll 500 sheets in about 20 seconds if rolled over the top. I prefer over the top, but so does Catherine (the cat).

Old 07-03-06, 06:31 PM
D
Good thing I don't have a cat then! That's cute though. I always hated when people would put it from underneath. I guess it really doesn't matter but I hate it when I can't find the beginning of it.

Old 07-06-06, 09:08 AM
D
I just thought about it as a lot of you mention accessibility is more important than appearance...so as I was sitting on the toilet I was thinking the BEST place would be right in front of me! THAT would've looked funny in that spot.

Old 09-24-06, 09:00 AM
M
When I last did our bathroom, I recall reading an article ( I think at the nation bathroom ass web site) that had actual specificats on where the best location was. It was something like 6 inches from the frontward most position of the toilet, and 32.5 ?? inches high. I used the spec they recommendes and it worked well.

Old 09-24-06, 02:25 PM
N
Cats spin to unroll. However, children like to pull on the hanging piece of paper!
Cats seem to know they are up to no good and only unroll a few feet of paper.
Little boys seem to think its some sort of game, the more paper, the more points or something...I vote from the top.
IMO...if it's out of sight, cats and kids wont know it's there.

Old 09-26-06, 05:36 AM
U
One friend who has cats tried both ways, but cats pulled it either way. She switched to a vertical stand. They still pull on it, but it doesn't spin freely so she doesn't lose much paper. A nearby HVAC register blows the loose end, "tantalizing" the felines.

I see both sides of the "see it", "don't see it" debate, especially having found the roll empty - too late.

I am considering wiring a spotlight to highlight the holder in my basement bath - after what it cost (brushed stainless to match the bath fixtures), I feel I should put a small velvet rope around it and increase my homeowner's policy. (should have considered something involving a piece of broom handle)

Old 09-28-06, 06:18 AM
Smile

ubob: Thanks for the laugh

Old 09-29-06, 03:08 PM
N
Me too Ubob, thanks.
After all, it may be the most important item in the room! Am reworking my lighting now to make room for the (insert holy music here) spotlight.

Old 09-29-06, 03:36 PM
I suggest a spot directly over the potty so you can see or read lol

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: