can inset sink be removed?

Old 07-02-06, 08:59 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry can inset sink be removed?

We have a Kohler undermount sink with corian counter tops. I would like to install a new sink but I was told we would have to remove (destroy) the corian in order to replace the sink. Is there a way to remove the sink from the underside?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-06, 09:06 PM
Kind of a hard question to answer without physically seeing the sink and countertop. A lot depends on what was used as a sealant when it was installed. You MAY be able to see a squeezeout of whatever was used. See if it is pliable. May just be a silicone type sealer. Then again, it may be held by an adhesive for Corian specifically. You may, indeed, have to wreck the sink for removal but may luck out on minor damage to the underside of the countertop. Might try calling an installer and asking what is commonly used for this type installation. Good luck.

Old 07-03-06, 04:38 AM
C
what kind of sink is it. is the sink the same materail as the counter top. if it is then most likley it was bonded to the underneath of the counter top and will not be removable

Old 07-03-06, 08:50 AM
A

Embossed on underside of the sink is "Kohler"--the sink has an enamel surface--would the bottom be cast iron? I'm not sure. What I'd like to do is install a corian sink and retain the corian countertop. Wishful thinking perhaps.

Old 07-03-06, 09:49 AM
Could be cast iron or steel. USUALLY, cast iron is very rough on the outside of the sink while steel is a bit smoother. The adhesive used to mount it is the deciding factor as to how badly the countertop may be damaged during removal. Some undermount sinks have support brackets to hold the sink in position and just a bead of silicone for sealing against leaks. I cannot see how this type installation would cause considerable damage with removal.

Old 07-03-06, 09:00 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have an undermount Kohler beneath granite countertops. It is held in place by 2X4's installed by the granite guys. The seal between the granite and the sink is caulk. If you have a set up like this the sink would be easy to replace. Kohler also makes an undermount kit for their sinks. You may have that.

Old 07-03-06, 09:29 PM
A

The underside of the sink is smooth not rough so maybe it is steel. I cannot see any clamps but it appears as if some strips of wood are holding up the sink. If that's the case would the sink just drop down once the wood is removed? Can such a heavy sink be held up with pieces of wood? In general aren't sinks installed upside down into the countertop before the countertop is placed on the base cabinets? Thanks for all the input.

Old 07-03-06, 09:35 PM
Most sinks are installed after the cabinets and countertops are in place. Hopefully, you can see what is holding the wood in place (maybe screws ?). I would agree that you could build up some type of wood supports under the sink before removing the wood. There should also be some type of adhesive used as a sealant to prevent leaking. This may need to be pryed loose once the wood is removed. Then when the sink is resting on the supports, you could remove them a little at a time to make it easy to remove through the cabinet door(s).

Old 07-05-06, 12:22 AM
C
Removing Kohler sink

Most likely the sink was suspended in the sink base on wood 1 X 4's at the right elevation to meet the bottom of the countertop before the top was placed over it, then was sealed with silicone sealant. It's very unlikely that it's bonded with Corian adhesive because that would not be approved by DuPont, and the fabricator would not have warranty coverage. If a problem appeared with the top, he would be responsible for repairs without reimbursement. Before removing the sink, check with a local fabricator to see if there's a Corian sink which can be mounted without major changes. A #872 or #902 would be the best bets.Bear in mind there will be no warranty coverage for this sink since it's an old top. Good luck

Old 07-05-06, 09:51 AM
A
can inset sink be removed

I checked with a flashlight under the sink and see no signs of screws at all. But the fact that some of you think the sink can be replaced encourages me to look for another contractor. The first (and only) contractor I had here said "absolutely, the corian counter needs to be removed and possibly broken" but he never so much as opened the door under the sink to look. Thanks again for the many suggestions.